Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where to buy your wood?

Where to buy your wood?

Where do you buy your wood?

I am curious as to where to buy hardwood plywood like cherry, maple, birch, etc., besides the borgs.

I am trying to find out where to buy 4 or 5 sheets of 4x8 3/4" and 1/4" cherry plywood here in Tampa Florida or any where near by.

Thanks

Julio, other than the BORG's the best place a lot of us in the Michigan area like to use is these folks

www.theworkbench.com

Extra bonus for me is I live exactly 3.2 miles from them.
    A very wise man once said.......
    "I'll take my chances with Misseurs Smith and Wesson. "

I know that it won't help you in Florida (but you could always emigrate ), but in the Toronto area, we are still well served by serveral smaller lumber yards. My two favourite within a short drive are:

Century Mill Lumber: http://www.centurymill.com/

Peacock Lumber: http://www.peacocklumber.ca/
    Cheers, Frank

Placitas, NM in the foothills of the Sandia Mt
    Hey Julio,
    www.woodfinder.com shows these distributors "near" Tampa. Try the yellow pages under lumber or building supplies and make some phone calls. Or call a local cabinet shop and ask where they buy theirs. Hope this helps.

Woodcraft - Clearwater, FL Clearwater FL (18 miles)
    Hardwood Lumber & Millwork Lakeland FL (31 miles)
    Woodcraft - Casselberry, FL Casselberry FL (83 miles)
    Alva Hardwoods Labelle FL (105 miles)
    Chipmunk Hardwoods Edgewater FL (115 miles)
    Woodcraft - Jacksonville, FL Jacksonville FL (174 miles)
    Woodcraft - Pompano Beach, FL Pompano Beach FL (186 miles)
    Constantine's Wood Center of Florida, Inc. Ft. Lauderdale FL (186 miles)
    Shell Lumber & Hardware Miami FL (204 miles)
    Buck Woodcraft Marathon FL (236 miles)

Thanks all,

Jesse, those are great, I must have missed them when I looked in woodfinder, I only found wholesalers there. Those are a great help, thanks again.

I buy some from a wholesaler with no problem. At least I did till I found a saw mill with a kiln. The secret is just go in and act like you belong. Go the counter and tell them you need 100 bf of maple.

They sent me to the warehouse with a ticket and we loaded up and measured as I loaded. Went back to pay and he asked what name it was in. I gave him mine and he took my check.

We talked a minute and he asked if I had a shop and I said Yes, a small one. (Thats not a lie either). No problems at all.

Just act like you belong there. Most of them want you money and don't care who you are when you picking it up.
    God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
    the good fortune to run into the ones I do,
    and the eyesight to tell the difference.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight Skin on frame Kayaks.
    Custom built boats and Kits

Julio

Here is a web link to a woodworker/teacher in Tampa that also sells wood (exotic)

http://www.swannwoodwork.com/MainLumber.html

Not what you want but she might have some good sources that aren't listed in the other posts

Jay

PS also check out

www.amazonexotichardwoods.com

James Lie
    866-339-9596

The website shows mostly turning stock, I bought some great spalted maple from him yesterday, my first time in the place it is just "around the corner" from Woodcraft in Casselberry open on Saturdays if you call and say you're coming. I didn't see plywood, but really wasn't looking. He might be another good contact, was very helpful to me.
    Last edited by Jay Lock; 01-07-2007 at 09:36 PM. Reason: added more information

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Horton View Post
    I buy some from a wholesaler with no problem. At least I did till I found a saw mill with a kiln. The secret is just go in and act like you belong. Go the counter and tell them you need 100 bf of maple.

They sent me to the warehouse with a ticket and we loaded up and measured as I loaded. Went back to pay and he asked what name it was in. I gave him mine and he took my check.

We talked a minute and he asked if I had a shop and I said Yes, a small one. (Thats not a lie either). No problems at all.

Just act like you belong there. Most of them want you money and don't care who you are when you picking it up.
    That's a good way to do things Jeff. It (almost always) works for me too.
    Cheers, Frank

In NC, my preference is to go to Steve Wall Lumber. They have an excellent variety of hardwood ply and lumber and the best prices I have found anywhere.

Anyone wondering the same in the Denver area should check out the Hardwood Emporium in Golden. For around here, good prices on hardwoods. I braved the wind conditions on 93 and went by on Sat am - the owner kept apologizing for his low stock (he was expecting a semi from Wisconsin that afternoon), but I was able to find some solidly 4/4 QSWO for around $5.80 bdft. He had some nice wood.