coffee table progress

Dan Noren

Staff member
busy day today! all the stuff with the foot stool, and now to the coffee table. today i checked all the parts, and refined the fit of all the tenons to thier mortises. the breadboard end came out a lot better than i expected, and i will be using ebony plugs on the ends to cover the 4 screws on each end. the ebony was cheap, i got it out of the odds and ends bin at our local woodworking store, and being the right size, and the right price ($3), who am i to argue? :dunno: i have cut all the plugs and a few extras for testing. i've set up a test piece of cherry with a mahogany plug to see how it will look with the finish. once i had all the tenons finessed, i put it all together to see how it looks, and i think it looks pretty good, and i can't wait to see it finished. reluctantly, i disassembled everything, and glued up the top (using the "b" words), and i should be able to take it out of the clamps, and sand it a good one, then fit the breadboard ends. also, on thursday and friday, i received the clock face and movement for the grandfather clock. don't worry larry, i'll be posting progress on that project pretty soon... :thumb:

rats, hit the wrong button. went to add the pics, but hit the submit by mistake. that's what i get for listening to ozzy osbourne after a long day... :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Attachments

• breadboard top dry fit.JPG
    breadboard top dry fit.JPG
    70.1 KB · Views: 40
  • table top in clamps.JPG
    table top in clamps.JPG
    74.9 KB · Views: 40
  • table top pre glue up.JPG
    table top pre glue up.JPG
    69 KB · Views: 41
  • table dry fitted.JPG
    table dry fitted.JPG
    71.1 KB · Views: 61
  • table frame dry fitted.JPG
    table frame dry fitted.JPG
    68.3 KB · Views: 46
  • both ends dry fitted.JPG
    both ends dry fitted.JPG
    99.5 KB · Views: 38
  • one side dry fit.JPG
    one side dry fit.JPG
    103.2 KB · Views: 39
thanks rennie! :)

allen, i'm hoping (weather permitting (or as my wife says, dios quieres) to get the sanding done tomorrow. if i can get it done early enough, i could get the blo on it by tomorrow night, and start the shellac part on monday. :thumb:

Dan I really like the design. That railing near the bottom round the edge is a great finish.:thumb: Good pictures nice and large and clear.

Hey cant help thinking has Allen started something with this breadboard edge on the top?:D

Whats the finish going to be?

tom, until i have a shop of my own, i'll have to scrape by as best i can... :thumb:

thanks rob! i think he did start something...:rofl:
if i have enough cherry left over, i want to make a breadboard with a through dovetail joint for the breadboard ends, could be interesting. :thumb:

sorry rob, i missed that last line:doh:

the finish on all 3 projects will be a coat of blo, 3 coats of amber shellac, 2 coats of clear shellac, and topped off with johnson's paste wax.

today's coffee table progress

today i got both of the breadboard ends on, and the ebony plugs in place. then the sanding commenced. to show that i do make the occaisonal boo-boo, i have decided not to really use my hand held belt sander for a while:doh: it extended the sanding of the top by at least 2 hours. oh well, at times we all need reminders of what not to do :rofl: after the top was done, i sanded (not using the belt sander) the rest of the framework. with that done, i wiped everything down with a tack cloth, and gave everything a good sloppy coat of boiled linseed oil. the bottom of the top was pretty good, and even better when i did the top. the grain practically roared out at me. the same with the rest of the framework, i have to make sure that only the best sides are the ones facing out. tomorrow i have to drill the cuts for the figure 8 table irons, and if i get an early enough start, i may have time for all 5 coats of shellac, and after waxing it up a good one, assemble the finished table. :thumb:

while i was at my dad's working on the coffee table, i spied and took a pic of an original polish chainsaw that he had. he's only used it once or twice now... :rofl::rofl:

Attachments

• one end on with plugs.JPG
    one end on with plugs.JPG
    54.4 KB · Views: 18
  • all parts sanded.JPG
    all parts sanded.JPG
    64.2 KB · Views: 17
  • all parts after boiled linseed oil.JPG
    all parts after boiled linseed oil.JPG
    77.7 KB · Views: 19
  • original polish chainsaw.JPG
    original polish chainsaw.JPG
    60 KB · Views: 24
Thats going to be a sweet little coffe table Dan. Better make sure they use coasters whan they go to set a drink on it. It takes alot of practice to be able to use a belt sander to sand the boards even. Lately I just use my ros with an 80 grit disc to even out my boards that are to wide for the planer:thumb:.