Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just a Bonker

Just a Bonker

I started a pen for the LOML earlier, but it needs a little adjustment and I'm out of CA right now. (the tip won't stay in the barrel). SO I grabbed a chunk of that ash from the neighbor. For those who suggested that I paint the ends... too late, the center is pretty punky already (and it was when I got it)

I found out the hard way... when the log I was turning started wobbling. I managed to turn off the lathe before it got Too exciting. I poked a screwdriver in the center and it went all the way in the length of the blade. Scratch that log...

SO I decided to grab a much more recent chunk of Maple which I picked up last week. I trimmed off a decent length and put it on the lathe between centers. A half an hour or so later, It told me that it was a Bonker. After a break for dinner I wound up with this:

he he he

here it is right after dinner.

-Ned

Good looking bonker Ned. Now just may sure the LOYL doesn't get a hold of it. It can make knots on your head.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Yep, that's a bonker!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Of all the bonkers I've ever seen, that's one of them.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Bonk bonk bonker!
    Remember the tea kettle - it is always up to its neck in hot water, yet it
    still sings!

Well, it may be a bonker now, but with a bit of rework may turn onto a beatiful pen, or a spoon, or a top, or a couple of yo-yo's, so why worry?
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

Quote Originally Posted by Toni Ciuraneta View Post
    Well, it may be a bonker now, but with a bit of rework may turn onto a beatiful pen, or a spoon, or a top, or a couple of yo-yo's, so why worry?
    Toni, turning bonkers is sort of a rite of passage for woodturners. Not a bad thing at all. They're done for practice, and if you're lucky when you're done you end up with something like a mallet for the shop, or a bat to knock the mud off your boots, or a club to keep the kids in line. Even if you don't end up with something to use, you have a pile of shavings on the floor and (usually) a smile on your face when you're done. Ned's pics prove those last two points.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    Toni, turning bonkers is sort of a rite of passage for woodturners. Not a bad thing at all. They're done for practice, and if you're lucky when you're done you end up with something like a mallet for the shop, or a bat to knock the mud off your boots, or a club to keep the kids in line. Even if you don't end up with something to use, you have a pile of shavings on the floor and (usually) a smile on your face when you're done. Ned's pics prove those last two points.
    Thanks for the explanation Vaughn, you see, as I'm no turner I completely misunderstood the whole thing.

Ned please accept my apologies, fruit of my complete ignorance of the turning jargon and my gaps in the english language.
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

Tony,
    No worries amigo.
    -Ned

Toni - just don't make the mistake again, lest you find a bunch of angry bonker makers coming after you!