Just a Bonker

Ned Bulken

I started a pen for the LOML earlier, but it needs a little adjustment and I'm out of CA right now. (the tip won't stay in the barrel). SO I grabbed a chunk of that ash from the neighbor. For those who suggested that I paint the ends... too late, the center is pretty punky already (and it was when I got it)

I found out the hard way... when the log I was turning started wobbling. I managed to turn off the lathe before it got Too exciting. I poked a screwdriver in the center and it went all the way in the length of the blade. Scratch that log...

SO I decided to grab a much more recent chunk of Maple which I picked up last week. I trimmed off a decent length and put it on the lathe between centers. A half an hour or so later, It told me that it was a Bonker. After a break for dinner I wound up with this:
shavings.jpg

he he he

here it is right after dinner.
chunkgone.jpg

pieceonthelathe.jpg

itsabonker.jpg

bonker.jpg

Well, it may be a bonker now, but with a bit of rework may turn onto a beatiful pen, or a spoon, or a top, or a couple of yo-yo's, so why worry?:D

Well, it may be a bonker now, but with a bit of rework may turn onto a beatiful pen, or a spoon, or a top, or a couple of yo-yo's, so why worry?:D

Toni, turning bonkers is sort of a rite of passage for woodturners. Not a bad thing at all. They're done for practice, and if you're lucky when you're done you end up with something like a mallet for the shop, or a bat to knock the mud off your boots, or a club to keep the kids in line. Even if you don't end up with something to use, you have a pile of shavings on the floor and (usually) a smile on your face when you're done. Ned's pics prove those last two points. :p

Toni, turning bonkers is sort of a rite of passage for woodturners. Not a bad thing at all. They're done for practice, and if you're lucky when you're done you end up with something like a mallet for the shop, or a bat to knock the mud off your boots, or a club to keep the kids in line. Even if you don't end up with something to use, you have a pile of shavings on the floor and (usually) a smile on your face when you're done. Ned's pics prove those last two points. :p

Thanks for the explanation Vaughn, you see, as I'm no turner I completely misunderstood the whole thing:(.

Ned please accept my apologies, fruit of my complete ignorance of the turning jargon and my gaps in the english language.:eek:

Why is it we insist on turning something that can cause us pain if the Little Woman gets hold of it when she's in a less than companionable mood? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

You don't have to be a masochist to be a woodturner but in this case I'm sure it helps. :D