Granddathers find

My granddaughter and me found this bowl in a piece of walnut.The walnut is from a limb that has been sitting at the edge of a field for at least 5 years.I've been seeing it at least that long, and latley have been wanting to check it out not knowing what it was.Well as the man that owned the property died 3 years ago and nothin has been done with the place,but knowing that the field only has walnut and peach in it.So i took a walk down there this mourning and broke off a chunk.:D Well this was a small chunk and it had deffently started to spalt.
Well here are a few pics in no certan order. Hope ya like thanks always
Steve

Attachments

• 005 [800x600].JPG
    005 [800x600].JPG
    105.9 KB · Views: 73
  • 008 [800x600].JPG
    008 [800x600].JPG
    94.4 KB · Views: 69
  • 011 [800x600].JPG
    011 [800x600].JPG
    124.6 KB · Views: 75
  • 001 [800x600].JPG
    001 [800x600].JPG
    82 KB · Views: 76
  • 002 [800x600].JPG
    002 [800x600].JPG
    82.9 KB · Views: 84
  • 003 [800x600].JPG
    003 [800x600].JPG
    88 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
Trinity, I think you and Grandpa had better go for another walk and break off a few more pieces :D

Nice wood, and Trinity, tell Grandpa to spoil you rotten, Uncle Stu said so! :wave: ;)

Nice bowl and cute granddaughter Stephen.

One question how have you got that bowl held on the faceplate. Is that picture when it was still solid and you were turning the outside shape and tenon?

Trinity, I think you and Grandpa had better go for another walk and break off a few more pieces :D

Nice wood, and Trinity, tell Grandpa to spoil you rotten, Uncle Stu said so! :wave: ;)
Stu you ain't got to tell her but ounce and her shoes are on and she's telling you to hurry up.She don't have to tell us to spoil her as she is the only grandchild on bouth sides.
Nice bowl and cute granddaughter Stephen.

One question how have you got that bowl held on the faceplate. Is that picture when it was still solid and you were turning the outside shape and tenon?
Rob yea that first pic the wood was still solid as you figured.
That's a cool little bowl, Steve. :thumb: I don't think I've seen spalted walnut before. Neat-looking stuff.
Vaughn i had never saw any ether and didn't know it would even spalt.As you can guess it was just spalting about1/3 of the way down.
Cool bowl Steve, and for Trinity's face I can see that there will be more to come:thumb:
Tony Trin has been coming into the shop since she could walk.Her other pa pa is the plant manager for a large wood working co so she is growing up on bouth sides in wood work.

Walnut will indeed spalt, usually with white lines in the dark wood. When there is enough of it to cause the color changes, the boundries are usually filled with various colors in the darker schemes of walnut. I could be totally off guard with this, but I believe you have a wonderful piece of peach trunk wood there. Regardless what the wood is, you most assuredly found a treasure and did a great job with it. The Grand-daughter ain't half bad herself. I know your proud.
Doug

Walnut will indeed spalt, usually with white lines in the dark wood. When there is enough of it to cause the color changes, the boundries are usually filled with various colors in the darker schemes of walnut. I could be totally off guard with this, but I believe you have a wonderful piece of peach trunk wood there. Regardless what the wood is, you most assuredly found a treasure and did a great job with it. The Grand-daughter ain't half bad herself. I know your proud.
Doug

Doug. As i was just assuming it was walnut,becouse it was brown heart wood.Now you got me woundering as there are peach trees in that field also.I'll have to take a pic of the wood with the bark on and let ya see what that looks like.The pics out side had a coat of tong oil on,and now has 4 coats of laquar.:dunno:

I used to have that enviable position... until I was almost 10, I was the only grandson on both sides of the family... lots of girls, but I was only boy

she's a whole bunch cuter than I was though.:thumb::thumb:
chuck i never had that problem as there were a lot of boys and girls.
Great looking bowl and a cute granddaughter there.
Bernie thanks. yea we think she's pretty cute also.:D

This is a pic of the tree that i thought it might be off of.Now after looking at the bark and my tree book i think it is peach. This walnut tree is a monster as the pic don't do it justice.

Attachments

• 001 [800x600].JPG
    001 [800x600].JPG
    133.7 KB · Views: 8