Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: moulding

moulding

Just wanted some of your opinions. If you were going to make a few thousand feet of picture frame molding probably 3 or 4 different styles. Would you use a heavy duty router, a shaper or a moulding machine. Just curious.

molder. the router and shaper will cut the side against the fence and can lead to profile changes along with other things. the molder cuts above and captures the board you will end up with a better product 99% of the time.

Doug do you have any experience or owned a moulding machine? Any suggestions on one.

we have a 6 head molder at work and i have a simple single head molder in my shop. there are alot of things to think about when looking at a tool with a large price tag. how much run time is it going to get? what profile do i want? do i want it in one pass or two? how much green is in my wallet that a care to let go? space? power 110/220/440? single or three phase? dust collection?

do you have your profiles? that would help alot to answer any questions

I have two picked out so far. One is 1 5/8 the other 1 3/4. I am currently running them on a router. I know what you mean by profile changes. That is why I asked the original question. I dont have any experience with a molding machine. I am adding a small frame shop to with my woodworking shop. I am currently still working at a day time job. I plan on retiring in a year and stepping up the woodworking and frame shop full time at that time. I am trying to build up the business now. It seems that most of the framing interest that I am getting right now is other business interested in me making custom frames for them. Wasnt expecting that but hey that will work fro me. What molding machine do you have at your personal shop?

i have a shop fox. i would say if you are using a router for your moulding then this would work for you to start.
    http://www.woodstockint.com/Products/w1812/

i use it for crown, base, hand rail, ect......
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails w1812.jpg  

Are you satisfied with it? I saw a jet for sale today for 800.00. I also know of a used Hussy for sale? Any thoughts?

how much for the hussy? you can get the shopfox for under 1500. if i remember the hussy sells for over 2300. and if you painted the shop fox red?? i have a friend i work with and he has a hussy and i looked at his before i got mine. he came over and looked at the shop fox and made the comment "i could have had two". i have had no problems with it at all.

look to buying pre-run stock from a moulding supplier until you know the venture is going to take off.
    single head moulders and shapers with feeders do the same exact thing only difference being one cuts laying down the other standing up. both require quite a bit of stock preparation.
    a 5/6 or more head moulder is more than a hobbiest can fit in most shops and requires an extensive supply side shop as well as more power and dust collection than most hobby shops have.
    framing will require some specialized equipment in it's own right, an accurate way to cut-n-trim miters, mat cutters, underpinners, glass cutting ability and finishing equipment....the cost of premilled stock is inconsequential to a budding enterprise.
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

Tod you have valid points on purchasing pre run mouldings for a start up company. I have a shaper and single head at home and the little molder will kick the shapers back side. the main reason is the shapers fence is also in the same plane as the knives and even with a power feed the two are very different.

one idea Tod had gave me one also. you could get s4s or have someone s4s your stock for you. then run what you need ion the shaper or moulder.we run s4s at work for a few local fellas.