Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BIG vase turning from You Tube

BIG vase turning from You Tube

This from one of the penturning forums.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydDQQQww1AA
    He certainly has it down to a system.
    I do wonder about the stresses on the lathe bearings. If that Nova holds up for years to that kind of use, it certainly would be an endorsement.
    His chainsaw application looks very scary but he, obviously, knows what he is doing.
    And, y'all, note, he uses a portable, floor mounted tool rest.

His chainsaw application looks very scary but he, obviously, knows what he is doing.

Just because he hasn't gotten sawn in half yet, doesn't mean he knows what he's doing.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Meyer View Post

Just because he hasn't gotten sawn in half yet, doesn't mean he knows what he's doing.

Bob
    Good point.
    And, welcome Bob.

I saw that one a while back...pretty impressive stuff.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

I.m sorry but to me it seems a testimony to bad practice. Using a chainsaw on a moving piece of wood, wearing gloves whilst turning. stopping a piece at 500 revs with a file, Starting up withoutchecking if the rest is totally clear...The lathe as a far as I can see has no bed, head and tail are on seperate supports. Its an bad accident waiting to happen.

Pete

Looking at the lathe it looks like he has a box frame supporting/connecting the head and tail stocks. He places the tool rest away from the piece and then does final adjustment to the piece after it is spinning. The size of the project has made him make decisions on how to handle such a large piece that requires making calculated choices probably based on his experience and comfort level. There is an incredible initial risk just with the mass and inertia involved with a piece that large.

There are inherent risks that all of us take when using machinery and in my opinion his are not unreasonable based on his experience turning such large pieces. Except for wearing gloves when stopping the piece with the file.

For myself: if I took the time to box frame the lathe I would also make a long tool rest and not use the chainsaw.

But overall I believe I understand why he feels his choices are acceptable for his style of woodworking.

Cheers.
    Dan Gonzales
    Whittier, CA, USA
    Dona nobis pacem

I'm not an expert turner, but I've got to think there's a better way to rough that thing out than a running chain saw....

I really like the finished product though.
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

I tend to agree with Dan on this one. He's doing quite a few things that I'd not do, but the guy in the video seems to have his process well thought out, and appears to be comfortable with it.

I think what impressed me the most about his work is how unimpressed I am with his final forms. I'd think one would want something a bit more shapely than "I got it round, so it's done" after going to all that work.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

They are just kind of slab sided aren't they...

You could probably make something similar with a faux wood finish on a sonotube...
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    I tend to agree with Dan on this one. He's doing quite a few things that I'd not do, but the guy in the video seems to have his process well thought out, and appears to be comfortable with it.

I think what impressed me the most about his work is how unimpressed I am with his final forms. I'd think one would want something a bit more shapely than "I got it round, so it's done" after going to all that work.
    I agree with you. The shape are very basic. However, his technique does not involve hollowing. He does not start with a solid log. The layers have big holes cut in them before glue-up. All he really does is smooth the outside. The 'massivness' is not real, compared to what we are used to the appearance of that big rough hunk on the lathe is very misleading.