Just wondering - HOW??

Leo Voisine

Let's assume I did not have a Jointer OR a Planer. (not true - but)

I could make a sled and make my edges straight on the table saw -- OK I am fine with that.

BUT

First - I would want to make the faces FLAT - and parallel. HOW? OH - I know all the knuckle draggers and gonna say - winding sticks, Jack plane then jointer plane

BUT

Is there an electron burnin way to make faces FLAT - Straight - and Parallel?

This is a test - NAH - not really - I have some thoughts - but I want yours.

Let's assume I did not have a Jointer OR a Planer. (not true - but)

I could make a sled and make my edges straight on the table saw -- OK I am fine with that.

BUT

First - I would want to make the faces FLAT - and parallel. HOW? OH - I know all the knuckle draggers and gonna say - winding sticks, Jack plane then jointer plane

BUT

Is there an electron burnin way to make faces FLAT - Straight - and Parallel?

This is a test - NAH - not really - I have some thoughts - but I want yours.

Personally, I'd probably do it the knuckle dragger way - it ain't really all that hard or time consuming.

But, if you've just gotta burn electrons :D then make a trough to put the stock in, and mount your router, with a straight or mortising bit, in the center of a long, straight board (or plywood) so that you can ride it on the sides of the trough and move it back and forth to straighten the stock. After that, you'll probably still need at least a smoothing plane to remove the router marks.

Yep, I'd do it by hand, also, unless the board is really big, or there was a lot of them, in which case I'd haul 'em over to my friend's shop and use his jointer and planer.

If you really want to burn electrons, that's the best way.

Mike

Wel - I was at first thinhing of one distinct project - but now I have another in mind,

I have apiece of cherry about 30 x 42 with natural edge. I need to get at least one face flat.

I can do a routersled then ROS. After one face is flat I can use my drum sander,

I might have hope yet,

Router bridge/sled was gonna be my suggestion. I've used one to flatten end grain cutting boards that I was leery of running through my Delta Snipemaster planer.

Router Bridge 6 600.jpg

Router bridge/sled was gonna be my suggestion. I've used one to flatten end grain cutting boards that I was leery of running through my Delta Snipemaster planer.

View attachment 32863

Ohhh - never mind the router bridge set up

WOW - that is an awesome piece of wood under there. - What kind of tree did that come from?

I will do the router bridge setup.

Whew - my wood - is pale compared to that one though.