Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How I ruined my Memorial day Weekend...

How I ruined my Memorial day Weekend...

Well, I spent some time thinking and thanking those that have made my living in the US of A possible, and then promptley got around to ruining my memorial day weekend.

Knowing that the last frost day for my area is May 15th, I started a few months ago trying to dig some post holes so i could expand the few raised beds we had to a real garden. Last year I pounded some t-posts into the ground and used chicken wire to keep the rabbits out. This year I decided I wanted a real garden.

The biggest problem is that the ground we have isn't really soil, but more like a collection of rocks, separated by some alkiline sand and weed seeds.

I tried renting one of those one man post hole diggers, but discovered all it was good for was punching myself in the abdomen. I used it and managed to get the 5 main corner posts, and gate posts dug.

Knowing that using a digging bar, or as my friend calls it, the idiot stick, was a lost cause, I found a cheap jackhammer on Ebay. That thing managed to cut my time for digging a post hole from 1.5 hours down to about .5 hours.... So to me, it was worth it. I finally managed to get all the post holes dug, raised beds built and filled, and the fence put up around it today.

I'm still not finished, I have some anti-rabbit-digging barriers to put in, I need to trim the tops of the fence posts, and of course, we need to finish off putting the plants in the ground.

But I'm darn happy with it and the Mater plants we put in the ground today seem to be kind of happy too....

Just wanted to share...

Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Brent - except for your garden, that picture could be a background shot for pretty much any Clint Eastwood Western . . . . I can't imagine gardening there!

I've never been anywhere in Nevada except between the Vegas Airport and "the strip" - and that was at 1 AM coming an and 9 PM coming out.

Cheers

Jim.

That's about as inhospitable piece of land I ever saw, and we have our share of it in ID!
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

Awww, that's just the hills behind the house...

The valley proper has a big sod farm and quite a few irrigated hay fields.

I've actually even got a few thousand square feet of grass out front of the house!!!

Our house was built in the late 80's and actually has some nice mature trees around it.

The wife and I put in a hillbilly above ground pool last year and spend about an hour every afternoon looking at the garden and wondering how long it will take for the tomatoes to get ready.

We actually have a pretty mild, if dry climate. The days in summer can be warm, but most every night cools down to a very comfortable temperature.

The raised beds make gardening easy, well, at least after you get it build and have good quality dirt delivered to garden in. As I figure it, an 8'x4'x1' raised bed uses 32 cubic feet of material, or just a little over a cubic yard (27 cubic feet) which is 8 wheel barrow loads per bed...

I'll put in a drip irrigation system and after that it becomes pretty self sufficient after the initial effort outlay.

Guess I started on my summer exercise plan...
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Mattheiss View Post
    Brent - except for your garden, that picture could be a background shot for pretty much any Clint Eastwood Western . . . . I can't imagine gardening there!

I've never been anywhere in Nevada except between the Vegas Airport and "the strip" - and that was at 1 AM coming an and 9 PM coming out.

Cheers

Jim.
    Jim, I've taken vacations in my truck and camper where I haven't seen other humans for days at a time out here in the west. Nearest human help were more miles away then could be walked in days... I know it's odd, but sometimes the solitude of the desert can be very refreshing. To make it odder, I grew up in the Iowa surrounded by trees, creeks and rivers....

That picture looks a lot like some areas of New Mexico.

Watch the sun, though. It will burn up your 'maters - Been there, done that!!
    Nancy Laird
    dandnspecialties@msn.com
    FWW Registered Voter and Voting Member
    Woodworker, turner, laser engraver; RETIRED!!

A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to his country for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' If you love your country, thank a vet.

Quote Originally Posted by Rennie Heuer View Post
    That's about as inhospitable piece of land I ever saw...
    Oh heck Rennie, that's relatively green and cozy compared to some of the other deserts between LA and Reno.

Looks like a lot of work, Brent. May you reap bushels.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy Laird View Post
    That picture looks a lot like some areas of New Mexico.
    Watch the sun, though. It will burn up your 'maters - Been there, done that!!
    Had a decent crop last year, not huge, but we had a much later start last year than this year. The plants would get a bit stressed from time to time though. The biggest problem we had were the tomato horn worms. I've got mixed feelings on those guys, as the moths they generated were completely amazing. Sort of like hummingbirds, but they were moths! But when it comes to tomatoes, well, I'm a take no prisoners kind of guy...

I'm leaving the posts pretty tall, so that we can rig some shade covers if we need them.

I'm actually thinking of rigging one of the raised beds with shade to try and grow some leafy greens....

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    Oh heck Rennie, that's relatively green and cozy compared to some of the other deserts between LA and Reno.
    Looks like a lot of work, Brent. May you reap bushels.
    Vaughn, you are wise and well traveled

Yes, this area is far greener than some of the other places I've visited around the west. I'm amazed at the tenacity of the weeds around here and the work it takes to keep the sagebrush and tumbleweeds from growing where you don't want them...

I'm hoping for bushels of tomatoes... I love to eat and can the darn things. I love the robust flavor and being able to control the salt level in the canned product.

brent that is one large back yard!!! i cant even see that far in mine your maters will taste better than any yu buy in the store save some for next april yu might be havun some visitors
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Brent,
    did I miss something... keep looking for the pictures, none there.. no pictures didn't happen?

We harvested first of the Broccoli yesterday.. got a few peppers showing, some squashes on the vines.. we've been eating lettuce and spinach for about 3 weeks now... After I got the garden all plowed and fixed up last year, one of my neighbors told me that some years back there was a roadbed right across my property where the garden is.. it is kinda rocky and so far have found a few old rusty car parts..
    Last edited by Chuck Ellis; 05-26-2009 at 12:54 PM.
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/TellicoTurnings
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.