How I spent my Memorial Day weekend...

John Pollman

Howdy all!

I hope you all had a great holiday weekend. All I've got to say is that mine was good but I didn't have as much fun as I would have liked to. Although I do have a very good feeling of satisfaction because I got a ton of work done around the house. Stuff that really needed to get done. The weather was PERFECT so I decided to take advantage of it.

My yard has been a mess for a while because of some health issues so I've been lucky to even get the grass cut since late last Summer. Well things are getting better and I decided to dive in and get some outdoor maintenance done. The grass was a mess at the end of the driveway where it goes down the hill to the back yard. So on Tuesday I had about nine yards of decent top soil dropped off to take care of that. I spent a good chunk of Friday and Saturday spreading it around and getting things prepped for seed. When it was all ready for seed, I still had a good three yards right at the top of the hill where I still needed to seed. So I got busy with the shovel and moved it back about four feet. In hind site, I guess I should have had the guy dump it a little further forward than he did. :eek: Moving three plus yards of dirt with a shovel isn't fun after you've already shoveled and spread the previous six!

Well Sunday came and I got the fertilizer, seed, and straw mulch down and that was it for the day. Monday came and I decided it was time to tackle the new 8' door wall I ordered that came in about three weeks ago. The wife has been on me for at least TWO of those weeks to get it in. :) I finally finished up a big remodel job for a customer on Thursday so it was time to work on my own home. I took my time and didn't rush things so it took a little longer than it really should have but it came out very nice. It's all trimmed and caulked outside and I'll finish the drywall on the inside tomorrow and get things ready for paint.

As I said earlier, I guess it wasn't a "fun" holiday weekend but I sure did get a lot accomplished. Maybe I'll get the new boat wet next weekend and chase some bucketmouths. ;) Here are some pics of my accomplishments...

3565488854_670e445f55.jpg

3565489050_d8da8de0b1.jpg

3564670763_49cfe026b9.jpg

3564670997_838cd660ac.jpg

3565510846_f5888131ba.jpg

I know I'm going to sleep well tonight. :lol:

Have a great week all!

John

Last edited:
That rocks John!

As a technology guy, I don't do much manual labor, but I do know how many wheelbarrows and shovels it takes to move a yard of material, and 9 yards is a darn good amount :thumb::thumb:

I typically run on a 2 yards per Ibuprofren schedule...

Good job on the door too!:thumb:

After reading your post and Brent 's thread on his garden work, I think a lot of people were doing the same thing, working on the homestead. I know I was doing the same thing. Fixing a leaking pipe under the house (very very fun...NOT), helping the wife aeroate the lawn, and working on a new fence. Everytime I went to the Borg for something they were packed.

After reading your post and Brent 's thread on his garden work, I think a lot of people were doing the same thing, working on the homestead. I know I was doing the same thing. Fixing a leaking pipe under the house (very very fun...NOT), helping the wife aeroate the lawn, and working on a new fence. Everytime I went to the Borg for something they were packed.

I went to town on Friday, and the local Borg was filled with people. I'm just glad I already had everything I need and just had to get the motivation to get out there to get things done, which wasn't alway easy :thumb:

Yeah, the wife and I never even leaft home. We spent the weekend weeding out the garden and flower beds and spreading mulch - TWELVE YARDS of mulch! I figure I'll need about six more yards to finish the job.

BTW, I get about three yards per ibuprophen - mulch is considerable lighter than topsoil. :p

Lookin' good. I spent some of the weekend digging stumps and fixing sprinklers . . . . at someone else's house! At least your efforts and the great results can be appreciated at home. Well done.

Thanks guys!

Leo,
I didn't think about taking any pictures just prior to starting. But I'm sure I've got some around somewhere with what it looked like before. The home was built in 1969 and I'm sure this was an original door. It was just plain aluminum frame and leaked like a sieve. This one's going to be nice and tight. It's even got the Low-E glass so it qualifies for the 30% tax break this year!

John

well john,, you done real fine on that door wall, you oughta think about doing things like that fer alivun .. and your back yard is right nice lookin too.. thanks goodness for the iboprofun its cheaper than the alterantive:) but not as much fun:)

Thanks guys!

Leo,
I didn't think about taking any pictures just prior to starting. But I'm sure I've got some around somewhere with what it looked like before. The home was built in 1969 and I'm sure this was an original door. It was just plain aluminum frame and leaked like a sieve. This one's going to be nice and tight. It's even got the Low-E glass so it qualifies for the 30% tax break this year!

John

Ohhh yeah I remember my old Aluminum framed Slider. When it was really cold outside - the metal frame would actually get frost on the inside.

Your comment brings back memories.