Gorilla glue and planer knives

Jay Lock

Hi

I'm "helping" a friend laminate up a couple of beams out of 11' 2x6s. The lamination is 4 boards thick. He "checked" all the boards before he brought them over, they are all straight.

Yeah, well, I got 2 put down on the bench, put the third on the stack and it was bowed way too much to clamp straight. And of course it touched the glue on the other board.

So I set it aside and was able to glue up the rest of the lamination with other boards.

I can solve the problem by breaking down the bowed board, jointing and then cutting the ends square, I can use this broken down board inside the stack where the largest butt seams will be hidden.

But I've got to clean off that board. Will gorilla glue mess up my planer knives? Should I sand it off instead?

Thanks for the advice

Jay

I've made lots of laminations using gorilla glue and run them through my planer with no obvious ill effects.
Just scrape off the worst of the glue to make feeding easier, as long as it's fully cured it just seems like soft plastic and the planer spits it out easy enough.

Cheers

Ian

I could say something tacky like "Gorilla glue is like foam and doesn't hold anything" but the bottom line is that I wouldn't hesitate to run it through my jointer or planer. As with anything, I would scrape off the thick part first...