Al killian

Anyone know of a good source for us northern boys? I am getting ready to make the wife a display cabinet in the arts and craft style and want to use Mesquite for the frame on the glass shelfs. The longest I will need are 36". For the carcass I plan on useing maple and it will have glass walls and mirror back.:)

Al,
Google mesquite lumber and you'll get plenty of information. From what I've seen, it's pretty pricey, around $15 BF and up:eek: but it sure is some beautiful wood. I've heard it called Texas Ebony.

Roger

Yeah I did a google search, however most are furniture companies and most do not show what the wood looks like that you would be getting.

how much yu want AL? maybe a family meber could get yu some and have it shipped to you ,,there eyes and your funds make both folks happy:thumb:

Good idea Larry.:thumb: Oh say maybe 20bft would be plenty. Yeah if someone is intresred their would be a fee paid for their time and service ontop of the cost for lumber and shipping charges.

somehow i managed not to spew coke all over the monitor after that one, larry and beauty sleep... :rofl::rofl::rofl:

al, i'll give rockler a call tomorrow, and see if they have any mesquite.

Anyone know of a good source for us northern boys? I am getting ready to make the wife a display cabinet in the arts and craft style and want to use Mesquite for the frame on the glass shelfs. The longest I will need are 36". For the carcass I plan on useing maple and it will have glass walls and mirror back.:)

Ill call my lumber guy tomorrow for you, he has 2 warehouses stuffed with everything, see if he ever worked with that stuff. Ill pm you if anything.

There are several online sellers of mesquite... but depending on how picky you are, I wouldn't order it sight unseen.** I'm very picky and as a rule only buy the cleanest material I can find.* I don't like cracks and epoxy fillilng, and for your application, you probably need the good stuff.Part of the problem with mesquite is there are a lot of folks out there with a Woodmizer that figure that qualifies them as a sawyer... and unfortunately, some of them only know how to mule a log up on it and cut.* There is some horrible mesquite for sale out there at crazy prices.My advice would be stick to a big-name retailer, tell them exactly what you're going to use it for, and tell them you want it absolutely clean and blemish free.* Be prepared to spend at least $10bf, maybe more.

i recently watched NYW and saw norms mesquite A&C book case he built. i was unfamiliar with mesquite as a furniture wood until then. sure is some pretty stuff

he used black boat epoxy to fill cracks and it turned out looking ok i think

anyways i googled mesquite lumber and got several hits

i recently watched NYW and saw norms mesquite A&C book case he built. i was unfamiliar with mesquite as a furniture wood until then. sure is some pretty stuff

he used black boat epoxy to fill cracks and it turned out looking ok i think

anyways i googled mesquite lumber and got several hits

I saw the same episode and Norm said the material price was like 650.:eek: