Hand planes

take alook at what patrick's or rex mill has to offer,,,they are reputbale folk the ones you showed above only one would be worth while in my book and is a bit pricey ...

You're comparing three very different products in the Kunz, Anant, and Lie Nielsen.

I've heard good things about the Anant. I looked a few new Anants over pretty closely a year or so ago - they seemed pretty well put together. They have a "premium" line directed at the Record market when that company closed up. Either way, those look really nice. I'd put them and some other makes (like new Stanleys or Woodcraft's house brand) in the "will-work-well-with-some-tuning" category. They're quality tools, but need some attention.

As far as the Kunz goes, i wouldn't spend the money. The one's i've seen were poorly cast from low quality materials and roughly machined. I "tuned" two Kunz planes - they required a LOT of time and work, and the best they could get wasn't very good in my opinion. I own one that's been a constant source of frustration for me. Not worth the effort. Other makes i put in that category are Kunz and Buck Bros.

The Lie Nielsen planes are pretty much "plug and play" right out of the box. You may want to hone an edge on the cutting iron, but that should be about it. They're flat, square, and well finished when you buy them. Of course you pay for the quality, but it may be worth it if you'll use the plane a lot. Veritas planes by Lee Valley are also in this category. Lie Nielsen basically makes the old designs with better materials and production methods. Lee Valley also uses high quality materials and production methods, but put a lot of energy into developing the ergonomics and functionality of the tools. Two different approaches - both very high quality products.

I find, that for common planes, Stanley, Record, Sargent, Millers Falls, and some Keen Kutter planes from the first half of the twentieth century are really hard to beat. You can get very well made tools for a small fraction of the cost of a new Lee Valley or Lie Nielsen. With a little effort and maybe an aftermarket cutting iron, it's not difficult to get them to perform just as well. Older specialty planes are rarer, and the new high quality planes are often easier to find and are typically less expensive.

Paul Hubbman

Last edited:
Thanks Paul,
The problem right now is I can not tell a dirty new plane from an older better made plane :huh:
But I will learn as I go along.
Boy that Lie Nielsen sure is pertty :thumb:

Where would I look for a used plane? I do not go to yard sales, and it seems the few times I even look at ebay the cost is more than a new one?

I can get a new Stanley at Amazon.com for $36.30 with free shipping, the ebay ones have 11 hour of more to go and the price will be climbing. :dunno:

You can get some used planes here: http://www.supertool.com/forsale/may09sale.htm I know that there are other places, if you do not fancy ebay here you'll have a fixed price, some expensive some other not that much.

Lets stick with low angle block planes :rolleyes:

Are any of these worth getting?

http://www.amazon.com/Anant-Low-Ang...f=sr_1_18?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1243531502&sr=1-18

This one is pretty and I woudl deffently be on the couch tonight :zzz:
http://www.amazon.com/Lie-Nielsen-T...ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1243532358&sr=1-5

Whats up with the colors of this one :rofl:
http://www.amazon.com/Kunz-Special-...f=sr_1_24?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1243532463&sr=1-24

Dan

Well, the L-N, of course - but it's pricey.

The Anants are a relatively new entry into the market. The one you linked to is essentially a copy of a Stanley 60½, and may be (or may not be) a decent deal.

I really can't say enough bad things about Kunz planes! Every one I've seen or tried has been pretty shabbily constructed. Perhaps with enough fiddling/fettling they'd be okay, but personally I avoid them like the plague!

Your other post about the Ebay 9½ caught my eye, too. It's not a low angle plane, but the 9½ is a nice on to have in your arsenal. The $16.50 closing price on that one was actually a bit low. They're generally around $25.00.

Well, the L-N, of course - but it's pricey.

The Anants are a relatively new entry into the market. The one you linked to is essentially a copy of a Stanley 60½, and may be (or may not be) a decent deal.

I really can't say enough bad things about Kunz planes! Every one I've seen or tried has been pretty shabbily constructed. Perhaps with enough fiddling/fettling they'd be okay, but personally I avoid them like the plague!

Your other post about the Ebay 9½ caught my eye, too. It's not a low angle plane, but the 9½ is a nice on to have in your arsenal. The $16.50 closing price on that one was actually a bit low. They're generally around $25.00.
The Anant's are low quality planes made in India, I got a number four some time ago and I gave it away to a non woodworker friend, the blade is very bad, and the body well... I'd rather get a used vintage stanley than another of those.

ThanksLeo,
It was suggested to stay away for new Stanley planes?

Yep - good point - I agree - but its sorta gives you a value. at least it gives you an argue point.

I have been known to contact an ebay seller - and make an offline offer.

Being an EBAY seller - I know how the system works.

points are this

1) No final value fee to ebay ( they need close the auction early) You will need to pay instantly with paypal. The seller will need some assurance.
2) this is the REAL value ($36.50)
3) After all it IS a used and maybe old plane - but certainly NOT an antique (which adds value to some minds)
4) Call me about his sort of stuff if ya want.

Sure it's a game - but - do you want the plane cheap? It probably has a REAL value of about $15.00

I just bid and won on two Planes on eBay,

A Stanley 60 1/2 for $29 plus shipping
A Stanley 9 1/2 for 12.51 plus shipping

If they are half way decent I think I did well. I am sure they will both need work, but I really enjoyed restoring the two planes I already have.

Dan

Thanks for all your help EVERYONE