Seems to be my day for Questions ( Updated review of facemask)

Rob Keeble

Ok so i need to get more equiped to deal with turning that block of wood that Larry sent me. One thing I have been wanting for some time now is a facemask.

I like the look of this low profile unit from Lee Valley. Anyone have first hand experience of it compared to the other cartridge ones.

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=1&p=62066&cat=1,42207,42220&ap=1

Low profile dust respirator.jpg I like it because I already have the face mask.

Would like to hear good/bad experiences.

Thanks

Last edited:
Sorry Rob, I think you're over your 3-question daily limit. This one will just have to wait until another time.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I've not used that respirator, but one key thing for me is the availability of the replacement filters. I have this one, and the replacement filters are available at a number of places locally for me. I can wear mine under a face shield, although I don't think it has as low of profile as the Lee Valley one does.

On the other hand, knowing Lee Valley's reputation, I suspect theirs is a real good respirator, and if you have a LV store nearby, filter replacement should not be a problem, either.

I use (sometimes :eek: ) the Dust-Bee-Gone mask. Am happy with it's effectiveness. No filters to replace, wash and dry, use again.
A good test is aromatic red cedar. I like the aroma and have no problem with that. But, when working, especially on bandsaw, the dust tears me up sumptin' awful. My throat, nose, sinuses stay irritated for days. But, with DBG mask, all is fine.

Rob, the PAPR I'm looking at is a cartridge one (the 3M GVP). It's a bit pricier than the Airstream that Bill Grumbine uses but taking cartridges will let me pop in chemical filters in addition to HEPA if I ever get into solvent-based spray finishes.

Just another thought. Then again, half-face unpowered units are cheap enough you could always get a different one for solvent vapors if you ever needed to. The PAPR units are about $1,000 or so, so I'm thinking to only buy it once.

Update review

Hi All

Well after considering everything i went ahead and trusted Lee Valley and boy am I pleased.

Bought this one low profile lee valley facemask family size.JPG from Lee Valley.

I never ever thought i would be able to keep a mask on for long periods but this mask solved all that.

There is ample breathing ability (you dont feel you are sucking for air) and the filter works so well i could not smell the aroma that the wood gives off. So when you take the mask off its quiet a surprise.

Only thing i find is that it makes my face sweat and i end up with a great deal of moisture in the mask which just wipes out.

Fits comfortably under the facemask for lathe work.

I would recommend this mask to anyone wanting real good filtering N99 at a reasonable price. Lee Valley is the only source i have seen for it.