Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My first pens in over 10 years

My first pens in over 10 years

This was my first ever attempt at a "Cigar" pen. It's been about 10 years since I've turned anything and it shows. I really shouldn't be showing these at all but I hope you will all give me a few pointers to get better.
    I bought these at two different stores. The gold one on the left I bought from "Woodcraft" and the titanium one on the right I bought from "Rockler". They appear to be exactly the same except for the finish. I screwed up the titanium one by trying to cut it down too fast and misshaped the bottom barrel. Also I HAVE to get myself one of those barrel trimmers to get the ends square. These were done with Granidillo wood and finished with "Shellawax Cream" that I have had in a cabinet out in the garage for about 10 years....still good. I'm not very proud of these but thought I would post however they turned out...I MUST GET BETTER.

Tom

Well...I swear I added the photo...but here it is again

Tom
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 03 rezised.jpg  

Well Tom, either you're a master at trick photography and hid the mistakes well, or the pens aren't nearly as bad-looking as you made them out to be in your description. I think they look pretty nice in the picture. Looking forward to seeing more.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Only you can really judge whether they are what you wanted them to be. From here, however, they look just fine.
    Why has common sense
    become so uncommon?

My Woodwork Site

Nice work Tom!!! Sorry no one mentioned a barrel trimmer before...I'm sure there are other opinions, but needing to put out an order for 175 rollerballs by September, a trimmer is essential. I use an electric drill which will cause a problem with some, but if you can use a "big daddy" drill, get on it! Pens are cool!! and just as much an art form as a hollowform or peppermill. Pens Rock!!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears Combat boots

Tom turners are their own worst critics. Those pens look mighty fine to me. Well done.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

I think they look very nice.. If you don't want them -- Please send them to me and I will tell everyone I turned them..
    Remember the tea kettle - it is always up to its neck in hot water, yet it
    still sings!

Pens are looking fine. The shadows in the photo threw me at first.
    Generally, I much prefer gold hardware but, methinks the silver color better compliments the wood in this case.

Tom they look good from here! Hey if they all looked the same, same dimensions, same finish, same color combo's, hmmmmmmmmmmmm wouldn't that be the same as mass produced pens???!!!
    All of the little "kinks" you see or feel, that makes that pen a handmade item. I bought I think from Woodturningz.com a barrel trimmer set. Uses the same trimmer but different barrel sizes are included for you to put the trimmer on. Very useful when doing many different pen/turning projects.
    Oh, again, those pens, !!!
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

Good work Tom, the pens look fine, and you will get back into the groove with every one you do
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward