My first pens in over 10 years

Tom Baugues

This was my first ever attempt at a "Cigar" pen. It's been about 10 years since I've turned anything and it shows. I really shouldn't be showing these at all but I hope you will all give me a few pointers to get better.
I bought these at two different stores. The gold one on the left I bought from "Woodcraft" and the titanium one on the right I bought from "Rockler". They appear to be exactly the same except for the finish. I screwed up the titanium one by trying to cut it down too fast and misshaped the bottom barrel. Also I HAVE to get myself one of those barrel trimmers to get the ends square. These were done with Granidillo wood and finished with "Shellawax Cream" that I have had in a cabinet out in the garage for about 10 years....still good. I'm not very proud of these but thought I would post however they turned out...I MUST GET BETTER.

Tom

Well Tom, either you're a master at trick photography and hid the mistakes well, or the pens aren't nearly as bad-looking as you made them out to be in your description. I think they look pretty nice in the picture. Looking forward to seeing more. :thumb:

Nice work Tom!!! Sorry no one mentioned a barrel trimmer before...I'm sure there are other opinions, but needing to put out an order for 175 rollerballs by September, a trimmer is essential. I use an electric drill which will cause a problem with some, but if you can use a "big daddy" drill, get on it! Pens are cool!! and just as much an art form as a hollowform or peppermill. Pens Rock!!:thumb::thumb:

I think they look very nice.. If you don't want them -- Please send them to me and I will tell everyone I turned them.. :) :p

Tom they look good from here! Hey if they all looked the same, same dimensions, same finish, same color combo's, hmmmmmmmmmmmm wouldn't that be the same as mass produced pens???!!!:huh::rofl:
All of the little "kinks" you see or feel, that makes that pen a handmade item. I bought I think from Woodturningz.com a barrel trimmer set. Uses the same trimmer but different barrel sizes are included for you to put the trimmer on. Very useful when doing many different pen/turning projects.
Oh, again, those pens, :thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:!!!

Hey thanks guys. Yea...I tend to be tough on myself all the time. I always want to get better at everything I do. I need to order some more kits from somewhere. I would like to make a couple of really nice pens for my father and father-in law for fathers day. So I need to get something ordered right away. Thanks for all the nice comments.

Tom