Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Show--Wandering Gallery Auctions

New Show--Wandering Gallery Auctions

I've been accepted into a new show. (well my BIL is one of the owners so...)

Wandering Gallery Auctions is a new venture that my wife's sister and my BIL, who own a high end furnishing and design store, and a couple that owns an art gallery are undertaking together. I'm very excited to have my work, displayed for an entire month. The venue is an old car dealership in downtown Des Moines that a design firm has remodeled to house there offices and includes a large area for just such a purpose. The way the auction works is a pretty cool concept, I think, (see the link to the website above to learn more) If this goes well they will have more in the future. The opening is June 20th and it closes July 25th.

I have quite a few pieces that are ready, but will need to finish many that are in the works, some only in my head, very soon...I will update with pics of the opening after it happens.
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

Congrats Jeff! So what are some of your items you're putting up for auction?
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Awesome, Jeff!!!

Good luck with the show.
    Why has common sense
    become so uncommon?

My Woodwork Site

Cool stuff, Jeff, and congrats. Sounds like a great approach. I'll be real interested to see how it all works for everyone involved.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Thanks guys. Darren most of the stuff I've posted here already, but here is one of the pieces I haven't shown you all.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_0179.JPG   100_0182.JPG   100_0183.JPG  
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

That's an exciting turn Jeff, however this "silent auction" how does it work exactly? Do the bidders know if someone else is bidding? Do the bids start from zero like at E-Bay?
    Don't you risk selling them by a price far lower than even the lowest one that you would be willing to accept?

I mean, people can walk in and take the risk of not buying anything for the stated price waiting for the silent auction results, they are risking not getting the piece they want (unless they want it deadly and pay what is marked))but you're are risking selling it at a vey low price.

I understand that a cheap sale is better than no sale at all but...
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

Toni, that was a concern of mine as well, but I'm meeting with them tomorrow to set minimum bids for everything. The good thing is that they have told me I have been selling at less than what they feel my pieces are worth. It should be a great learning experience.
    My Website

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Bower View Post
    Toni, that was a concern of mine as well, but I'm meeting with them tomorrow to set minimum bids for everything. The good thing is that they have told me I have been selling at less than what they feel my pieces are worth. It should be a great learning experience.
    Thanks Jeff. I was asking because I though that it was a good idea to apply here. If the bids start from a minimum the whole thing changes and prices can only go up from that minimum.

But... then what is that minimum respect to the stated price? The same? 10 or 20% less?
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

Quote Originally Posted by Toni Ciuraneta View Post
    Thanks Jeff. I was asking because I though that it was a good idea to apply here. If the bids start from a minimum the whole thing changes and prices can only go up from that minimum.

But... then what is that minimum respect to the stated price? The same? 10 or 20% less?
    I'm not sure. I know they have it all figured out, and I do trust them to set the prices. I'll know more tomorrow.
    My Website

Cool, Jeff!

Good luck.

Bruce
    Bruce Shiverdecker - Retired Starving Artist ( No longer a Part timer at Woodcraft, Peoria, Il.)

"The great thing about turning is that all you have to do is remove what's not needed and you have something beautiful. Nature does the hard part!"