Collared Hollow Form with updated pics Maybe better?

Alan Trout

I have not been getting much turning time the last month but I had a little time on Monday of this week. This is a piece of Silver Maple that I found on the side of the road during one of our city's brush collection day's. The collar is Eucalyptus. The form was hand hollowed to a fairly consistent 3/16" thick. Overall dimension is right at 6 1/2" across and about 2 3/4" overall height. The finish is what I call a burnished lacquer. Not quite satin or gloss, just a nice luster.

It is not the most exciting piece of wood but I am happy with the overall look and feel of it. Wish my photos were better. About the best I can do with my little cheap point and shoot.

I did this in celebration of me ordering a Monster Articulated Hollowing Rig. I don't mind hand hollowing other than the fact that I destroy about 25% of what I make trying to get to thin without a laser. I hope to have it in about 3 weeks.:D

New pics added I think they are better let me know what you think. I am trying to get a handle on the photography thing and just playing with it a little at a time.

Attachments

• Collared form 1.jpg
    Collared form 1.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 38
  • Collared form 2.jpg
    Collared form 2.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 34
  • Collared form 3.jpg
    Collared form 3.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 40
  • Hollow Form New Pic 2.jpg
    Hollow Form New Pic 2.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 18
  • Hollow form new photo 3.jpg
    Hollow form new photo 3.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Very nice Alan, sometimes the simple ones stand out for being just that! :thumb:

Congrats on the new Monster Rig, I think you will like it!

BTW, how is that very nice lathe stand working for you, anything to report?

Cheers!

Stu,

Thanks for the kind words. I really appreciate it.

The stand is working great. It is unbelievably stable. I put about a 65lb. piece of pecan on it a couple of month's ago out of balance and started it at 500RPM. There is a little oscillation in the feet of the casters but no movement other than that. It was well worth the time spent on that project. :thumb:

Thanks,

Alan

Very nice, Alan. :thumb: When I first saw the thumbnail pic, the collar seemed a bit too tall, but looking at it more closely in the bigger picture, I really like it.

And congrats on the new upcoming Monster rig. I see more and more hollow forms in your future. ;)