heatin question

larry merlau

ok folks i got question fer you heatin gurus i got 15,000 cubic ft of area to heat with adeagte insulation, how large of furnoce or heater type do i need?

I'm heating a well insulated 9,000 ft³ with 35,000 Btu. Gas Radiant.

It keeps the shop at 65° all day and 50° at night. Last Winter, it used about 4 MCF of gas per month. So far this year, it's been unseasonably mild, so the gas usage is way down. We'll hafta wait and see what February/March brings us...

Last edited:
I have a 2 ton heat pump for 7680 cubic feet. The real way to do it is to do a heat loss/gain analysis. There is a shareware program out on the net somewhere to do it. Around these parts a lot of times 600 sq ft per ton is used FWIW.

next question

ok any suggestions on make or model of gas radiant heaters? (propane) also what are those ones that hang from the ceilng considered? are they as good or is something better? i have ten ft ceiling in part of the shop to be and so could hang one.

The only one I know of and have heard good things about is Dayton. I am not sure if they are vented or unvented, but I would personally want one that is vented.