never really thought I was chicken

Frank Fusco

:eek: Oh, well.
Truth is, I have been procrastinating on this pen project for over six months.
From beginning: the white blank shown is a form of substitute/alternate ivory that is different material than what is supplied by CS USA and others. Chalk it up as Frank's Free Enterprise Failure #483. I had hoped to find another ivory type material and sell to turners as a sideline. Spent weeks tracking down the manufacturer. Finally found them. They would sell to me but I had to sign a contract guaranteeing I would purchase a minimum of $10,000.00 worth of product the first year. Ouch! :eek: More than I could handle or was willing to gamble.
OK, so, I have some of this material on hand I purchased at retail. Decided to make a really fine, high end, pen from it to put in the art gallery that sells my stuff. She won't have real animal 'stuff' in her store but 'alternate' materials are OK.
Got this Emperor kit from CS. Cost about $55.00. The blank is over $10.00. Set aside to 'get to'. Nebber did it. Am I fearful I'll screw up the ($55.00) Emperor kit? Dunno. :dunno:
But, I'm gunna do it. Success or.....otherwise.....I'll let y'all know.

Attachments

• emp kit.jpg
    emp kit.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 69
$10,000 is a bit to bite off in one chunk. I would have second thoughts about $55 for a kit. I am sure you will do a fine job, but if all else fails, dig deep and deny everything.

Fact is, it's just another pen. It will probably be just fine. Only question is how this stuff turns. On other forums one reported it turns like rock and another said like butter.
Nevertheless, I'm getting out my muzzle loading book of excuses, jest in case. :rolleyes:

Just get 3 blanks Frank. Test 2 on slim-lines and the 3rd will be the money pen. It really is a nice kit. I did 3 Jr Gent's and 2 Emp's 2 months ago for a client. I get e-mails frequently about how much they like them.

Just get 3 blanks Frank. Test 2 on slim-lines and the 3rd will be the money pen. It really is a nice kit. I did 3 Jr Gent's and 2 Emp's 2 months ago for a client. I get e-mails frequently about how much they like them.

I do have extra material. But, I also have enough experience to (hopefully) avoid trouble when I first touch tool to blank. Still, I may test turn one of the extras to get a 'feel' for what I will encounter. Thanks.
BTW, the Gents and Jr. Gents are probably my favorite models.

:eek: Oh, well.
Truth is, I have been procrastinating on this pen project for over six months.
From beginning: the white blank shown is a form of substitute/alternate ivory that is different material than what is supplied by CS USA and others. Chalk it up as Frank's Free Enterprise Failure #483. I had hoped to find another ivory type material and sell to turners as a sideline. Spent weeks tracking down the manufacturer. Finally found them. They would sell to me but I had to sign a contract guaranteeing I would purchase a minimum of $10,000.00 worth of product the first year. Ouch! :eek: More than I could handle or was willing to gamble.
OK, so, I have some of this material on hand I purchased at retail. Decided to make a really fine, high end, pen from it to put in the art gallery that sells my stuff. She won't have real animal 'stuff' in her store but 'alternate' materials are OK.
Got this Emperor kit from CS. Cost about $55.00. The blank is over $10.00. Set aside to 'get to'. Nebber did it. Am I fearful I'll screw up the ($55.00) Emperor kit? Dunno. :dunno:
But, I'm gunna do it. Success or.....otherwise.....I'll let y'all know.
Hi Frank; There is so much joshing that goes on in this forum, I have difficulty separating the wheat from the chaff. i.e. I can never tell if someone is serious or not!

In regards to this "alternate" material there is a gentleman on the IAP http://www.penturners.org/forum/index.php forum that sells "Alternate Ivory" http://www.exoticblanks.com/ as well as has a video showing you how to do it.

attachment.php

Here's the end result that I produced from his "Alternate Ivory". If you would like some help, forward the kit and blank to me and I will help you out! Seriously.

Frank....first step is to never start a new kit without extra tubes, and blanks!

That said, I'd love to send you some of my version of "alt ivory" for a whole lot less than $10 a blank, and less that $10,000 committment.

PM me your address and I'll forward you some of my version.....you helped me a great deal not to long ago and I'd love to return the favor.

Doug who is no longer in Michigan...back in Oregon!

Frank....first step is to never start a new kit without extra tubes, and blanks!

That said, I'd love to send you some of my version of "alt ivory" for a whole lot less than $10 a blank, and less that $10,000 committment.

PM me your address and I'll forward you some of my version.....you helped me a great deal not to long ago and I'd love to return the favor.

Doug who is no longer in Michigan...back in Oregon!

I have some experience making pens. I do have extra tubes and extra blanks. Thanks.
The material I am using has a different appearance than what Douglas put on his beautiful pen. This material is really known as white paper micarta. It is very popular with knife makers and makers of grips for pistols. IMHO, it has more of a real ivory appearance.
And, for the record, the biggest part of my post was genuine "joshing". Circumstances, some of it a cold winter, some of it other priorities, have kept me out of the shop for months. I miss making sawdust but will be catching up soon.

I just saw a picture flash in my mind. It's Frank, standing at his lathe turning pens, with no pants on.

I really didn't need to see that picture. :eek: :p I just may never be the same. :rofl: