Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21

Thread: wanna cuss

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Mountain Home, Arkansas
    Posts
    11,832

    wanna cuss

    Can we suspend the no cussing rules for one day a week? Today would have been good.
    Rare for me, but I was really in a big time cussin' mood today. Was trying to clean up some of the January ice storm wood from my yard today using my new Stihl chain saw.
    (imagine cuss part here) Well....the thing wouldn't start or run right. Fire a couple times, maybe idle then die.
    Back to the store where I bought it. Guy poured out the fuel and said I was using wrong oil. Not so. I was using genuine Stihl oil with the gas mix carefully measured. He compared it with some of theirs. Theirs was blue, mine was green.
    In walks another tech who didn't know what was going on but he immediately said "That gas smells strange." Finally we deduced that the gasoline I was using had ethanol in it. They use only ethanol free gas. The ethanol, apparently, contaminates the oil/fuel mix. And that was the source of my non-running problem. They put in some of their mix and saw ran great.
    Now, I have to buy gas just for this saw. Why can anything be simple? I like simple.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Between Aledo and Fort Worth, TX
    Posts
    2,784
    And I was thinking about purchasing a Stihl string trimmer to replace my aging McCulloch. You can not purchase gas here without ethanol. It is illegal to sell gas without it here, or in any county that touches Tarrant (Fort Worth) and Dallas counties. So how would they handle that as a warranty problem? I would be spitting nails if they told me that after buying one here. Guess I will just order the 50.00 worth of replacement parts instead. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...
    Exclusively Irish!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas
    When Irish Eyes are smiling, they're usually up to something!!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...but most likely, I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, season 3


  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    North West Indiana
    Posts
    6,098
    I really don't want to jinx anything with my saws, but most if not all gas here has some percentage of ethanol and my mix/saws are running great.
    I do know on both of my saws at the air filter there is a black plastic deal that you put one way for winter/cold weather running and turn it over for warm weather operations. Something probably with blocking/allowing air flow into cylinder for fuel air mixture. If that isn't in the correct position for the climate the saw will run erratically.
    Last edited by Jonathan Shively; 05-31-2009 at 04:03 AM. Reason: additional information
    Jon

    God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

    Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    ABQ NM
    Posts
    30,017
    Frank, what percentage of ethanol is in your local fuel? Check out the third FAQ on this list:

    http://www.stihlusa.com/faq.html

    If it's 10% or less, you may need to talk to your Stihl tech.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

    workingwoods.com

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Delton, Michigan
    Posts
    17,472
    i agree full heartedly with vaughn on this one.. i have used stihl saws for years and between me and my brother we now have 6 that saw regular..havnt noticed any trouble with them and the gas thus far the newest one is 6 months old. and its still on milk yet the others are on meat and tators go have achat with your tech and give them a lesson on the puter while your there frank!
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Reno NV
    Posts
    13,361
    I find doing plumbing chores generates the highest rate of curse words per minute for me. Especially those that involve working under a sink.

    I've got a new faucet to install in the kitchen, and a new RO filter to install today....
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash


  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Central (upstate) NY
    Posts
    1,457
    Good luck Frank!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Mountain Home, Arkansas
    Posts
    11,832
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    Frank, what percentage of ethanol is in your local fuel? Check out the third FAQ on this list:

    http://www.stihlusa.com/faq.html

    If it's 10% or less, you may need to talk to your Stihl tech.
    I get most of my gas from Murphy Oil, they are the company that is at most Wal-Mart stores. I had never even thought about ethanol being in their gas and don't know the percentage.
    That FAQ is interesting.
    But, my experience cannot be denied either. My saw wouldn't run. The gas/oil mixture looked different (and even smelled different) than a mix made with non-ethanol gas.
    When the non-ethanol mix was put in the saw it ran like a champion.
    I'll stick with non-e for a while, if there are no problems I'll chalk it up to the ethanol despite what the Stihl FAQs say.
    I have e-mailed Murphy Oil to find out what, if any, percentage of ethanol is in their gasoline.
    It's Sunday so I won't cuss, but I still feel a need to vent. I ain't happy with this situation.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Between Aledo and Fort Worth, TX
    Posts
    2,784
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fusco View Post
    I get most of my gas from Murphy Oil, they are the company that is at most Wal-Mart stores. I had never even thought about ethanol being in their gas and don't know the percentage.
    That FAQ is interesting.
    But, my experience cannot be denied either. My saw wouldn't run. The gas/oil mixture looked different (and even smelled different) than a mix made with non-ethanol gas.
    When the non-ethanol mix was put in the saw it ran like a champion.
    I'll stick with non-e for a while, if there are no problems I'll chalk it up to the ethanol despite what the Stihl FAQs say.
    I have e-mailed Murphy Oil to find out what, if any, percentage of ethanol is in their gasoline.
    It's Sunday so I won't cuss, but I still feel a need to vent. I ain't happy with this situation.
    Now the real story comes out. Frank, I've made a lot of money off of Murphy Oil in the last year and 5 months over contaminated fuel. The first was New Year's Eve '07 to '08. Water in the gas. The 2nd time was about 4 months ago with something in their diesel. After sitting for a few hours, it congealed into a blob that would float around in the fuel. Now the first time, Murphy just said fix what it needs and call us for a credit card. The second time, the customers had to pay and fight it out with them. But I didn't hear any of them come back and say they didn't get their money. We recommend our customers only use the top tier fuels. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...
    Exclusively Irish!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas
    When Irish Eyes are smiling, they're usually up to something!!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...but most likely, I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, season 3


  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Mountain Home, Arkansas
    Posts
    11,832
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim O'Dell View Post
    Now the real story comes out. Frank, I've made a lot of money off of Murphy Oil in the last year and 5 months over contaminated fuel. The first was New Year's Eve '07 to '08. Water in the gas. The 2nd time was about 4 months ago with something in their diesel. After sitting for a few hours, it congealed into a blob that would float around in the fuel. Now the first time, Murphy just said fix what it needs and call us for a credit card. The second time, the customers had to pay and fight it out with them. But I didn't hear any of them come back and say they didn't get their money. We recommend our customers only use the top tier fuels. Jim.
    It does get more and more interessinger. I spent some time yesterday (between picking up branches from the ice storm in my yard) perusing the 'net, using Google to find info on gasoline. Some sources said that all the major gasoline companies share transmission lines and, therefore, their gasolines are all identical. The differences in cleaning ability as seen in ads is just that, advertising only. That's what it said.
    Later, I found the MSD for Murphy and it showed that their gasoline can be anywhere from 0% to 10% ethanol, it varies.
    I dunno if blanket statements can be made. But, for my small engines, I'll be buying from another source from now on. We have a distributor in town that claims high-quality non-ethanol gasoline.

Similar Threads

  1. Wanna go Pro?
    By Jim DeLaney in forum Carpentry and Construction
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 03-11-2011, 09:20 PM
  2. I Wanna Build One of These
    By Vaughn McMillan in forum Off Topic Discussion
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 02-26-2011, 12:41 AM
  3. May I cuss????????
    By Frank Fusco in forum Off Topic Discussion
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 02-14-2011, 03:34 PM
  4. I wanna cuss......
    By Frank Fusco in forum Off Topic Discussion
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 09-12-2010, 05:34 PM
  5. Wanna Win some Books?
    By Vaughn McMillan in forum Off Topic Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-05-2010, 06:34 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •