Sugar Maple HF

This is the hollow form I was turning when I experienced the catch I had posted about in this thread: http://familywoodworking.org/forums/showthread.php?t=14468

Lots of curl, some bark inclusions and a few cracks help add a little life to this hollow form. The cracks were filled using CA and some bronze powder (circa 1923) I had inherited from my grandfather. The form is 7 ½” in diameter x 4” high, sanded to 320 and has several coats of Minwax Gloss Wipe-On Poly. The top of this is 1/16" thick, the corner is close to 3/8" and the sides and bottom are 1/4" - so it is not as thin as I would like. Afraid I got a little gun-shy after the catch I had and did not wish to blow the piece up!

Sugar Maple v1.JPG Sugar Maple v2.JPG Sugar Maple v3.JPG Sugar Maple v4.JPG Sugar Maple v5.JPG

As always, comments, opinions and critiques are welcome!

Thanks for looking! :wave:

Cool piece, Steve. In some of the pics (particularly #3), there are some areas that are much lighter than others, at least on my monitors. Almost a splotchy look. Does the wood actually look that way? If so, any idea what caused it?

Vaughn - the photos capture the true colors and variations of the wood. No idea why the variations but have found a lot of the maple up here has it. Could be all the minerals in the soil, cold temps or could just be the variety of maple - not really for sure. I've turned some that look like I had dyed them a warm walnut color but they are all natural. Pretty cool stuff as you never really know what you will find until you turn it!

i wondered the same thing steve as vaughn and was gonna ask but he beat me to it.. does it take finish the same as the other areas? the way it flows out from a inclusion would lead you to think it part of the decay process like a begining spalt?

Larry - it's all solid wood, no decay or spalting. As you cut the wood you can see the color variations if they are there. This particular piece of maple was bulldozed to make room for a mini-mall - so it was a healthy tree just the day before I got to it.

i didnt mean it was real bad steve but the inclusion that you have could be the start of it??/ a branck that got broke by a ice storm and let just alittel water in or bacteria?? just quessun. still looks great though:)