Grumble Grumble

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
A while back, the bracket that holds the lower guide bearings on my Shop Fox W1706 bandsaw broke...

Bandsaw Guide Bracket 02 800.jpg

No problem. I got on the Grizzly website, looked up the parts list for my saw's cousin, the G0555X, and ordered the replacement part. It was only a few bucks, so no big deal. I even added new replacement bearings to the order just to make the shipping costs a bit more worthwhile.

Bandsaw Guide Bracket 01 800.jpg

I've had the parts for a couple weeks, but had been waiting on some new bandsaw blades I'd ordered. The new blades got here a few days ago, so today I finally took the table off the bandsaw and started to replace the broken part. That's when I ran into a problem...

Bandsaw Guide Bracket 03 800.jpg Bandsaw Guide Bracket 05 800.jpg Bandsaw Guide Bracket 04 800.jpg

As you can see, the holes in the new bracket are quite a bit bigger than the posts that are supposed to go into them. :bang:

Shop Fox does not have parts available for online order. So now I have to decide if I want the hassle of going through the dealer to get this part (and hope they get the right one), or ordering the bearing post for the G0555X that matches my new bracket. The Grizzly parts, including new bearing screws (just in case they have a different size between the Grizzly and Shop Fox versions) and shipping, are only about $17.00, so it's still no huge expense, but I'm without a bandsaw for another week or so. If I wasn't pinching pennies right now, I'd probably just order a set of Carter guides and get it out of the way, but that's not in the budget right now. Razza frazza grumble grumble.

bangdesk.gif

If it is a clean break, you could give silver soldering a try. You may have to ream the hole after. If it don't work, it's still broke any you're only out a little time. Get the highest melt temp you can for the solder.

It's pot metal, Dale. Will that solder worth a darn? I went ahead and ordered the Grizzly parts, but if I can patch this together to use until the new parts get here it might be worth it. I've been running for the past month or so with no lower guides. I guess I could also go back to that if I really have to cut something. (I'd have to put the table back on, but that only takes a minute or two.)

Yeah Vaughn, a "Bushing". Could be turned on a metal lathe to match your ID in the guide hole, and the OD of the bearing mount.

Simple job, really, No really. Get out your micrometer and telescoping guages and measure.

Aloha, Tony

Tony, here's what I got with my Harbor Freight digital calipers:

Dimensions.jpg

The bushing idea hadn't crossed my mind, but sounds like it would work. If I hadn't already ordered new bearing mounts (they were only $3.50 each) I could have probably given the old guy at the local machine shop a little bit of work to do between engine jobs. :doh:

My first thought was bushings also.
I could toss a hunk of scrap brass into the pot when I send it to you.
What is the diameter of the new (big) holes?

Thanks for the offer Frank, but I've already got the new parts ordered, and they should be here before the end of the week. :thumb:

Grumble-Grumble

Vaughn,

I think Mike said it is different words, "What about some hollow spacers?"

And Roger said to try copper tubing. I think a split copper tube might work, IF it is thin walled enough. You show to have about .075" difference in the OD of the bearing mount, and the ID of the bracket. 3/8" ID (.0375") tubing should be about 1/2" OD (.500"). If you cut about a 1/4" slit on one side of the tube, it might compress enough to go in the bore. If not, a little adjudstment would do it. Try re-shaping the bushing to the diameter of the bearing mount stud size with some pliers before inserting it in the bracket. Make sure the slit is aligned with the slot in the bracket to make clamping easier.

You might have to do a little careful light filing with a round file of near similar size of the bushing ID, once you have it inserted in the bracket, as long as you have it as round as possible first.

Let us see what you come up with.

Aloha, Tony