Turner chisels/tools

Ken Garlock

Now don't start giggling and snickering, but I bought one of the Palmgren 15" lathes that were on sale at Amazon. It looks to be a well made piece of iron. I also bought a OneWay Talon chuck for it from Hartville Tool, also on sale.
I learned that the Palmgren is the same lathe that carries the Craftsman label at Sears. With that in mind, I ordered the metal stand for the Craftsman lathe. (If it doesn't work out, I can take it back.)

So now the questions:

What is the best popular brand of chisels/tools. I noticed that one company carries Sorby and Crown, but the Sorby is twice the price of the Crown.

Second, what comprises a basic set of lathe tools? Hartville has a set of 8 Sorby tools on sale for 20% off.

I consider this lathe to be just another tool in the shop, and I plan to continue to work on my flat stock skills.

As one TV new analyst says, What Say You?

Loaded question:

Spindle turning-
- 3/4" roughing gouge
- spindle gouge
- parting tool
- skew chisel

Bowl turning -
- 1/4" bowl gouge
- 1/2" bowl gouge
- round now scraper.

I think the Sorby tools are great tools for the cost. Sorby sells a set of six which I think is the perfect beginner set. I have a couple of crowns also and have no problem with them either.

We are all over the map. I have 23 or more of 100+ year old Buck that are great. My wife has a rather large mix of vintage Swan, new Sorby, Crown and Crown powder coated, P&N and a couple other brands which escape me. My oldest has a set of the Pinnacle sold by Woodcraft which other than needing sharpening a bit more than the Sorby, are just fine and he does nice work.

My feeling is Jim's list is good. Get a small basic set and then purchase individuals based upon what you need to accomplish.

Take care, Mike

Thanks

Mike and Jim, thanks for the information. Since you both recommend the Sorby tools, I went ahead and ordered a set from Hartville Tool before their sale ended.

Thanks again.:D

I started out with the basic Harbor freight set. There part number ITEM 47066-3VGA 47066.gif They're high speed steal and a great way to learn you sharpening skills. Not all stores carry this set. So be careful,. You can however order it online from HF and for $40 it a bargan. Since then I have added some pinnacle bowl gouges 1/4" and 1/2" and a sorbey Hollow Master. I'll probubly add a large bowl scraper next.

Some of the el-cheapos are actually pretty good tools. My very first was (still is) a set of five no-names for $20.00 and I get as much use between sharpenings as I do from other highly reputed brands. However, make that HOWEVER some cheapies can be actually dangerous to use. I have seen sets where the tang was only about 1" long and could break out of the handle easily.

Thanks for the ideas, Gents. With the basic Sorby set I will have enough variety to get myself in trouble.:eek:

One other question for you learned people. I picked up a piece of dead branch off a Big cottonwood tree. The chunk is almost 12" in diameter and 30" long. It is solid and appears to be pretty well dried out. Is it worth anything in the world of spinny things?:huh:

Thanks for the ideas, Gents. With the basic Sorby set I will have enough variety to get myself in trouble.:eek:

One other question for you learned people. I picked up a piece of dead branch off a Big cottonwood tree. The chunk is almost 12" in diameter and 30" long. It is solid and appears to be pretty well dried out. Is it worth anything in the world of spinny things?:huh:

NOPE I wouldn't evebn bother trying to turn it, just cut it up so that it'll fit into flat rate boxes and send it on to me..

I was gonna jump in to recommend the Harbor Freight HSS set, but it looks like you got the starter tool set dialed in.
...One other question for you learned people. I picked up a piece of dead branch off a Big cottonwood tree. The chunk is almost 12" in diameter and 30" long. It is solid and appears to be pretty well dried out. Is it worth anything in the world of spinny things?:huh:

At worst, it'll be some practice for you...at best, it'll make something real nice. Once you start playing with the lathe. you'll never look at the firewood pile the same way again.

BTW, congrats on the new lathe. I bought the Sears version of that lathe used from a local guy about half a year ago, and it's done well for me. I think I paid about as much for my used lathe as folks were paying for the new Palmgren lathe for during the recent sale. I've had to learn a few things about maintaining a reeves drive, but now that I know the details, it's pretty straightforward. Don't be afraid to ask any questions about that lathe, several of us here have one.