Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Chisel set for BirthDay?

Chisel set for BirthDay?

I ordered this expensive Japanese chisel set months ago and then realized although I would like it I probably could do with a less expensive set so I canceled it.
    Months later after I have forgotten it and still do not have a chisel set these arrive and they have charged my credit card.
    I ahev two choices now.
    1. I can return the chisels and pick up a less expensive set at some point.
    2. keep these and my wife says if I do not spend anything from now till my birthday June 12th I may live

So are these chisels worth the $95 I paid for them?
    Can I do better with a different brand?
    Would a beginner woodworker like myself need a good set of chisels?

You thoughts woudl be very much appreciated.

Dan
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Chisel set a.JPG   Chisel set b.JPG   Chisel set c.JPG  
    Dan Thibert
    Leominster MA

You paid $16.00 each for them. They are probably very good.
    Compare with turning tools that often are in the $30.00 to $100.00 each range.
    You might be able to get a good chisle set for less but you have these and unless $95.00 is life changing, I say keep 'em.

$95 for six chisels is not expensive (I know, it it all relative). Did you get them from The Japan Woodworker? If not where? Like everything, not all Japanese tools are the same grade. So it all depends on which set you bought as to what quality you have.

I ordered had ordered them from Mannys Woodworking
    http://www.mannyswoodworkersplace.com/1201606.html
    Dan Thibert
    Leominster MA

This will sound a bit strange, but $95 for a set of Japanese chisels is not expensive - there are a lot of Japanese chisels that sell for $95 each.

Japanese chisels are different from western chisels and you need to be aware of the differences when you sharpen and use the chisels. Some people love Japanese chisels, while others prefer western.

I would not recommend Japanese chisels for a beginning woodworker, unless for some reason you're really into the Japanese style of woodworking.

Mike
    Ancora imparo
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Stupid question #1 for today

What is the difference between a Japanese chisel and a western chisel

Do you have to hold them with chop sticks

I am not sure if I should return these and get a different set? If I should any recommendations on chisel sets out there?

Thanks
    Dan
    Dan Thibert
    Leominster MA

Dan, I wondered the same thing as well.
    I know I'll get skewered for this but....and edge is an edge, is an edge....

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fusco View Post
    Dan, I wondered the same thing as well.
    I know I'll get skewered for this but....and edge is an edge, is an edge....
    Frank I would tend to agree. An edge is an edge. But the all important issue is how long will the edge keep. There are many good chisels on the market both Jpn and western. I go for Jpn because of my location and I happen to like them They do hold an edge exceptionally well so that is all the more reason to like them more. Just this week I bought a set of 4 fishtail chisels. Right outta the box they are scary sharp.

Dan 95.00 is not a lot of money for any set of 6 chisels. And at that price I would even say they are a good starter set. I would keep them and learn to sharpen them by hand with a waterstone. they will serve you well for a long time.

Frank I feel so much better knowing that I am not the only one without this particular knowledge

They look like my cheep $2 chisels except a hell of allot nicer. I am sure the edge will hold much better! I have a Japanese water stone to sharpen them so they should play well together

I am leaning towards keeping them, but I have never had a good chisel set so these may not be "expensive" but they are to me. We do not have a lot of money but I like good tools. If there is a better choice I have no problems with returning these.

If these look like a good set and will last me for years to come then I will keep them and bow to them before I start using them

Still need help deciding
    Dan
    Dan Thibert
    Leominster MA

Thanks Alex,
    I appreciate your info, currently leaning towards the East

Dan
    Dan Thibert
    Leominster MA