Crown molding angles?

Al killian

OK, LOML has finally got pat of the crown up.:thumb: The problem is the corners(go figure):rolleyes:. I was planning on doing two opposite walls and then cope the corner on opposing walls. It has been over 8 years since I have done this. Tonite after wasteing several feet of crown trying different angles I threw in the towel. What is the angels that I should be cutting it at? Atleast crown is cheap for me.

This may be what Todd is referring to, I don't know. I've found the easiest way to cut crown molding is to turn it upside down and cut it in a miter saw, powered or otherwise. Basically, if you've got a fence tall enough for the molding, just flip it upside down with the face facing you and the back facing the fence, place it firmly and squarely against the fence and the base of the miter saw, then cut it on a 45. That sure beats the heck out of using a compound miter saw and trying to not only figure all the angles but get the stupid thing locked in on the angles. ;)

I made a jig for my Miter saw, extending the fence and base so that there is no chance for misalignment. Add a cleat along the base to assure the molding is placed in the exact position each time. Consider the base of the saw as the Ceiling and the fence is the wall (always work upside down)

For a coped corner, cut the molding at 45 degrees and the use a pencil and highlight the corner (edge) of the cut making the profile more apparent. Use a coping saw or jig saw cut a slight back angle so only the edge touches the other molding/ add a little painter's caulk (if painted) to the inside of the joint just before attaching a little squeeze out can be cleaned up with a damp cloth and then the joint will be invisible. :thumb:

Attachments

• P1010771.JPG
    P1010771.JPG
    97.2 KB · Views: 29
  • P1010772.JPG
    P1010772.JPG
    98.8 KB · Views: 28
Last edited: