Re DNA availability in Canada

Rob Keeble

Hi All

I now have a healthy bowl blank i wish to turn as well as some other bits of Osage Orange i picked up at the dump. Have covered the ends with sealer. The thing is what can i use to dry the finished product apart from DNA. Or can some good buddy in Canada tell me where we get DNA in Canada. Seems the guys at HD dont even know what i am talking about and the only chemicals in the solvent area that they have are things like thinners and what i call turpentine or the equivalent its slightly oily.

I am wondering whether I shoulnt take a trip to Buffalo and go across the border. I understand you guys in the US can get this stuff at HD is that correct?

Thanks

You can get it there, it is just called a different name. For the life of me I cannot come up with it right now. I'm hoping that someone else will soon. Then again, I'll probably wake up at about 4:30 am with it on the tip of my tongue.
Thinking
Thinking
Thinking

Denatured alcohol read the cans rob its gotta be there..in the thinner section also ask for thinner for the shellac they carry its the same thing. dont use mineral spirts

DNA availability in Canada

Hey Rob,

It's called Denatured Alcohol.

That should be available just about everywhere house paint is sold.

Aloha, Tony

Dggone it, Larry beat me to it.

Guys, I know its called Denatured Alcohol, but I dont think you guys have been to a HD in Canada. This is not the same as the USA. They barely know what paint is at our places. Have you heard the slogan "You can do it we can (should be cannot) help. :rofl: Not too much in the way of knowledgable associates at the HD I am afraid to say. Maybe our government thinks we might drink it since the booze it so expensive here. :D

DNA is also hard on the lungs and should only be used in very well ventilated areas. Do not spend a lot of time smelling the fumes. May not bother you at the time (it can though), but it does its damage and shows up years later.

Hi All

I now have a healthy bowl blank i wish to turn as well as some other bits of Osage Orange i picked up at the dump. Have covered the ends with sealer. The thing is what can i use to dry the finished product apart from DNA. Or can some good buddy in Canada tell me where we get DNA in Canada. Seems the guys at HD dont even know what i am talking about and the only chemicals in the solvent area that they have are things like thinners and what i call turpentine or the equivalent its slightly oily.

I am wondering whether I shoulnt take a trip to Buffalo and go across the border. I understand you guys in the US can get this stuff at HD is that correct?

Thanks
Hi Rob; What you want is Isopropyl Alcohol 99% pure available at any good farm supply store like TSC.
About $20.00/4 liters.

Now if you happen to attend our monthly breakfast meeting on Sunday http://forum.canadianwoodworking.com/showthread.php?t=27448 I could see that there would be a liter waiting for you!

Last edited:
Thanks Doug for pointing out what people get tired of. I've seen pictures and stories posted of members and their family turning with no respirator at all. You do not want to be my patient if I know you did this to yourself or a family member. Don't like it? Find a lung transplant instead...it will happen.:(