Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Couple of Dovetailed boxes - Input please

I don't have a picture of a box I made so let me try to describe it with words.

I wanted a sliding top, but I didn't want it to show. So on the "open" side, I took a piece of the same wood as the side of the box, and glued it to the sliding top. That piece of wood was cut with a miter on the ends to match to the box.

So when you looked at it from the top, it looked like the sides of the box came all the way up on all four sides. It was only when you looked closely on the side that you saw the line between the side and the piece of wood glued to the top.

I handed the box to a friend and asked him to open it. It took him a while to figure out how the box worked.

That piece of wood worked well as a "handle" to grab hold of to open the box. And I chamfered the top.

Should have taken a picture of that box (I actually made two).

Mike
    Ancora imparo
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Mike,

Sounds similar to one I saw Roy Underhill make on a recent episode. The one he made wasn't quite to my liking on the design aspect, but I would like to see a pic of yours if you can get one. When you said you chamfered the top, did that chamfer go all the way to the edge of the box, or just the sliding portion? Just trying to get a picture in my head.

I'm always glad ot get input from which to learn. Could definitely be something to add to my repitoire.

Thanks again,
    Lee Laird
    Austin TX

Sorry, Lee - no pixs. I gave the boxes away as gifts. When I said I chamfered the top, I only chamfered the sliding top. So it looks like a solid wood drawer bottom, if you viewed it with the drawer upside down. I know I should have taken a picture of that box!

Mike
    Ancora imparo
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Sorry, I didn't know if the boxes were still in the close "hey you mind taking a picture for me" circle or not. I know the feeling though. I've let a couple get away without snapping a pic. Earliest ones actually, which on second thought, if I saw the pics I'd probably give up woodworking!

Keep me in mind, if you happen to make another one in the future. I'd still like to have a look.

Thanks,
    Lee Laird
    Austin TX

just a thought but i`m bettin` this box isn`t going to be opened often...
    associated with several importers and manufacturers.

You hit the nail on the head! And I already have complete buy-in from the intended recipients on this box.

Originally, I was more interested in comments on the two top designs, but I'm cool with the transition to hearing other's opinions on the complete box design thing. Good to have some go-to ideas for future projects.

Regards,
    Lee Laird
    Austin TX

Here's a couple of pics of a box I made to keep my side rebate planes in.
    Just a simple dovetailed box with a sliding lid. I always seem to gravitate towards chamfers on the lid. It seems to soften the lines a bit.
    This box IS intended to be opened easily, hence the big carved finger grip.

Cheers,
    Stu
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1.jpg   6.jpg  

Stu - nice box for a couple of nice planes!

Lee, function first. Doesn't matter if you have perfect Classical proportions if the box fails.

Interesting to look at - thanks for showing us!

Stu -

Good looking box. I'd thought about something similar to your carved finger grip, but wasn't sure how the recipient would feel about it. I certainly like you design.

Mind telling what types of wood you used? I like the contrast.

Thanks

Lee
    Lee Laird
    Austin TX