Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kitchen Cabs Complete

Kitchen Cabs Complete

I have completed stage 1 of my kitchen reno. Not much of a renovation really just building and installing what the builders never did. These cabinets were made with 3/4 lumber core ply, painted inside to match the wall paint and veneered with 3mm ash on the outside. The face frames have a bead, which may be hard to see in the photo and the door frames have a ogee profile. The glass is opaque. I made the crown molding using a lock miter bit (a profile is a profile) for the lower section and then a cove cut on the TS for the remaining section.

The inspiration for doing this came to me after I watched New Yankee Workshop where Norm redid a kitchen over 8 episodes. I thought to myself that looks easy enough. I can finish that in a couple weeks. Five months later... an all to familiar story. I will try to do stage 2 this week.

The before shot

Bookmatched gable ends

Stage two will be the bottom lower cabinet underneath the big wall cabinet. I purchased bloom motion hardware for the drawers and am looking forward to getting those in.

Thanks for looking
    Last edited by Alex Reid; 06-02-2009 at 11:38 AM.

looks good alex!!! on the beaded framework how did you connect your face frames together? pocket screws or M&T joints.. the intersection where the two pieces meet how did you handle the bead on the inside corner??? that ash looks nice, and the base cabinet looks way outa place she isnt gonna wait 5 months for that piece i betcha
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Beautiful Alex. You have done your kitchen proud; nice soft lines and a rich feel.

Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post
    looks good alex!!! on the beaded framework how did you connect your face frames together? pocket screws or M&T joints.. the intersection where the two pieces meet how did you handle the bead on the inside corner??? that ash looks nice, and the base cabinet looks way outa place she isnt gonna wait 5 months for that piece i betcha
    Thanks guys for the comments.

Larry the face frames are doweled together and doweled on to the cabinet. There are two ways to do the inside beading. One is to bead before assembly and cut it back adding a miter where it joins the adjoining piece. The other is to bead, then cut the bead off, assemble and then add the bead after assembly. I opted for the second approach. In hindsight I didn't save time doing it this way as I thought I would and really the other way is no harder you just have to be careful on the miter.

Really nice Alex The grain of the ash really stands out in a very good way, and the beading is awesome Looking forward to stage 2

Kea'au Hawaii. Just down the road from Hilo town!
    Very nice Alex! Sure opened up the kitchen. I haven't seen many photos of Japanese homes that were very large anyway. I think I have the same rice cooker you have. Does it play a melody when the rice is done??
    Aloha,

What goes around, comes around.

Quote Originally Posted by Royall Clark View Post
    I think I have the same rice cooker you have. Does it play a melody when the rice is done??
    Chop Sticks?
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

Good job Alex.

Thanks for sharing it. I think that the choice of opaque glass is a good one I have it also in my kitchen ( or should I say our?) although my cabinets were not made by me and they are not as pretty as yours
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

Kea'au Hawaii. Just down the road from Hilo town!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennie Heuer View Post
    Chop Sticks?
    For the price of this little rice cooker it should!!!
    Aloha,

What goes around, comes around.

Last edited by John Bartley; 01-15-2011 at 08:54 PM.