Kitchen Cabs Complete

Alex Reid

I have completed stage 1 of my kitchen reno. Not much of a renovation really just building and installing what the builders never did. These cabinets were made with 3/4 lumber core ply, painted inside to match the wall paint and veneered with 3mm ash on the outside. The face frames have a bead, which may be hard to see in the photo and the door frames have a ogee profile. The glass is opaque. I made the crown molding using a lock miter bit (a profile is a profile) for the lower section and then a cove cut on the TS for the remaining section.

The inspiration for doing this came to me after I watched New Yankee Workshop where Norm redid a kitchen over 8 episodes. I thought to myself that looks easy enough. I can finish that in a couple weeks. Five months later... an all to familiar story. I will try to do stage 2 this week.:D

The before shot
kitcab1.jpg

Bookmatched gable ends
kitcab3.jpg

kitcab4.jpg

kitcab5.jpg

kitcab6.jpg

kitcab7.jpg

Stage two will be the bottom lower cabinet underneath the big wall cabinet. I purchased bloom motion hardware for the drawers and am looking forward to getting those in.

Thanks for looking

Last edited:
looks good alex!!! on the beaded framework how did you connect your face frames together? pocket screws or M&T joints.. the intersection where the two pieces meet how did you handle the bead on the inside corner??? that ash looks nice, and the base cabinet looks way outa place she isnt gonna wait 5 months for that piece i betcha:D

looks good alex!!! on the beaded framework how did you connect your face frames together? pocket screws or M&T joints.. the intersection where the two pieces meet how did you handle the bead on the inside corner??? that ash looks nice, and the base cabinet looks way outa place she isnt gonna wait 5 months for that piece i betcha:D

Thanks guys for the comments.

Larry the face frames are doweled together and doweled on to the cabinet. There are two ways to do the inside beading. One is to bead before assembly and cut it back adding a miter where it joins the adjoining piece. The other is to bead, then cut the bead off, assemble and then add the bead after assembly. I opted for the second approach. In hindsight I didn't save time doing it this way as I thought I would and really the other way is no harder you just have to be careful on the miter.

Good job Alex.

Thanks for sharing it. I think that the choice of opaque glass is a good one I have it also in my kitchen ( or should I say our?) although my cabinets were not made by me and they are not as pretty as yours:thumb::thumb:

Very nice Alex:thumb:. I like the use of the lock miter bit for the crown moulding. I've done the beading both ways and to me its faster to mill it seperately and install it versus making it part of the stile and rails. One slip up and your cutting a whole new stile or rail versus just a new bead and a portion of it is still usable.

Brilliant, Alex! Very nice.

What is that gizmo to the right of the espresso maker? (I was going to say between the espresso and the breadmaker, but now I'm wondering if the "breadmaker" is actually the rice cooker that Royall mentioned.)

So, here in Canada, a kitchen upgrade like that would have added easily $5-$15,000 to the value of your home. Is custom work like that valued also over there? I know, it's hard to generalize like that, but I just found myself wondering.

I was going to say that fridge under the microwave would only hold about 2 days worth of food for my family (4 kids) but I think I see another fridge peeking around the corner -- to the right of the stove.

best,
...art

Very nice cabinets Alex. Sure adds beauty to the place. Waiting to see the lower one and how you treat that. Guess you have more of the same wood to match it.

Really neat the frosted glass idea.:thumb:

Great transformation. I am NOT letting LOML get a look at that. I really like that clean-line look. The frosted glass is a wonderful detail too.

Thanks for all the comments. I may not start on the lower cabinet just yet as I have a bunch of knick-knack projects I have to get out of the way.

Art the the microwave sits on top of our freezer. It's a small unit and yet I am scratching my head trying to find a another spot for it. The lower cabinet is going to go there. The unit in between the rice cooker and espresso machine is a coffee bean grinder.

About the house value increasing things are quite different in Japan. I honestly haven't considered it as the resale value of the house is almost certainly less than when we bought it. In Japan when people buy second house houses the real estate agent will routinely tell them the house is not worth anything and they will often mention the cost of tearing down the old house so the new land owners can build anew. Of course as the economic climate changes people start thinking different about money but for the most part people here like new houses.

Nice looking cabinets Alex. Like the doors nice touch. Bet your glad to see them finished off. So what was the final cost for those?

Hey Andrew, good to hear from you. How's the job going? Only the first stage is done. I still have to do the lower ones. Up to now not including new tools I desperately needed to complete the job :D the cost of wood, paint, hardware and bloom slides I have spent about 2000. I wonder is that a lot? What do you think it would it cost you to do it? How much would you charge a client to do it? I know my labour in time was worth at least the cost of materials.