Kitchen Cabs Complete

Looks great Alex,

The cabinet doors I am planing on making for my kitchen will be done in a very similar way but with 1/4 ply instead of the glass and I am using red oak.

Our cabinets are to messy to want to see any of it with the doors closed :rofl:

I picked up a Stile and rail router set in order to do the joinery. I haven't figured out which is the stile and which is the rail yet :rofl: and which I should do first:dunno:

The joy of being a new woodworker :D

Dan

Looks great Alex,

The cabinet doors I am planing on making for my kitchen will be done in a very similar way but with 1/4 ply instead of the glass and I am using red oak.

Our cabinets are to messy to want to see any of it with the doors closed :rofl:

I picked up a Stile and rail router set in order to do the joinery. I haven't figured out which is the stile and which is the rail yet :rofl: and which I should do first:dunno:

The joy of being a new woodworker :D

Dan

Thanks Dan. This was my first time also for kitchen cabinets. I first looked at New York Yankee. Norm had some great tips on building. I also recommend
Danny Proulx - Building Kitchen Cabinets. :thumb:

Hey Andrew, good to hear from you. How's the job going? Only the first stage is done. I still have to do the lower ones. Up to now not including new tools I desperately needed to complete the job :D the cost of wood, paint, hardware and bloom slides I have spent about 2000. I wonder is that a lot? What do you think it would it cost you to do it? How much would you charge a client to do it? I know my labour in time was worth at least the cost of materials.

The new job with the school board is going great. Have seen lots of bears on the drive in to work every day in Port Renfrew but are about done the job to the school there. Looking forward to getting back to civilization ( and a regular work week) again soon.

The cost to build custom cabinets is really what it is in the way of materials and it can't be compared to the knock down cabinets that come out of the big box stores. They would never be able to supply something like what you have built with the quality that you have built. Your costs would be less expensive if it was something that you did everyday and had the shop set up for just building cabinets. Think of all the extra time that you have spent setting up your shop for this project and take that out of the cost. Then think of if you had the jigs set up and ran every thing through for the entirer project ( including the lower cabinets) at the same time.

My shop rate is about 85.00 hr ( depending on the job) and i know that may seem alot to some and not enough to others but you have to factor into paying all the exta bills that go along with that like insurance and governemt tax's, accountants and such then the wear and tear on the machine and the cost of having all the machines to do the specific jobs. Then of of course your profit margin. Just like a car garage with the special tools and know how to fix your cars and no one thinks second thoughts about paying that bill. It is just the cost of doing business.