Lift Lid Box with small tutorial

glenn bradley

I have been trying to get a jump on Christmas gifts for once. I took a break to make this box for LOML's daughter. She has a favorite coach that she wanted a gift for.

I used a method that was in one of the mags. This is an end view of one of the sides. The dados are cut for the top and bottom and then the middle dado is cut as part of the lift-off lid joint.

box-tut-1.jpg

You insert your top and bottom and glue / assemble the box.

box-tut-2.jpg

Now you can add miter keys, dowels or whatever details you like and sand the solid cube. You can see a walnut cube in the back of the pic with keys but not sanded all the way.

coachbox-001.jpg

Now use the same dado width that the middle dado was done with and cut just a bit deeper than half way (the spoil is shown with dotted lines and diagonal stripes in this pic).

box-tut-3.jpg

The two parts seperate and you have a perfectly fitting lift-off lid.

box-tut-4.jpg

Add a handle or feet or both if you'd like.

coachbox-002.jpg

Glenn,

That's a cool little design. For whatever reason, I don't recall seeing that one before. Looks like something I may have to try.

Thanks,

Hi Glenn, if I understood well the fit of the lid on the box is given by the second dado. If one wants a snug fit, that second dado depth should be adjusted very very carefully because if one goes too deep the fit will be too loose, am I right?

Besides the question that is a great looking box, and the bigger one behind that looks like walnut look good from here as well:thumb::thumb:

Hi Glenn, if I understood well the fit of the lid on the box is given by the second dado.

Exactly correct Toni. I cut the last dado to a height that leaves a very thin connected section. This allows me to separate the two pieces with a razor blade and helps keep them aligned during this step. I can then raise the dado very slightly and re-run the bottom of the box to adjust the fit.

Your saw setup does not change from the original "last" dado except for the height. Bear in mind that the adjustment cut change will be doubled as you are doing all sides.