Thread: Power carving chuck stand

Power carving chuck stand

Some one devised a way to make an adapter out of a 1"x 8TPI bolt and used it on a lathe for power carving, Does anyone recall the thread?

John, I saved this thread on SMC and for those of you that don't have access...the pics are below along with the Bosch version. Bob Howllowell is the person that made it. I have a couple of bolts to make it, just haven't had the time to do it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails vise.jpg   vise2.jpg   vise3.jpg   bosch-carving-stand_l.jpg  
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

Carving Stand

Thanks Jeff, that is just what I was looking for. It's a great idea and a money saver!...........Aloha

John,

What size bolts will you need? Looks like maybe a 4" and an 8" (to get the long enough unthreaded shank). does Woodcraft have those lock screw levers?

Maybe we can work together and make more than one of these.

ALoha, Tony
    Last edited by Tony Baideme; 06-04-2009 at 11:42 PM.
    "You got to learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make them all yourself". (Author unknown)

"Time flies like..... an arrow,,,Fruit flies like..... a banana." Groucho Marx

Ah,,,to live in Paradise!

Registered voting member

Fighting for all I am worth, and praying every day.

Carving stand

Apparently I have a Jet 1220 and it uses a 1"X8TPI at the head stock so I need a 1"x8TPI bolt to accept my chucks.. Unfortunately my tool rest uses a 5/8" post. I will either turn the cut off piece of the bolt and turn it down to 5/8" to fit the tool rest. Drill and tap the top portion and use a ratcheting handle to lock the pieces at various angles. Seems simple enough till you get down to fabricating it. I've seen the bolts at Home Depot and I have bought the handles at Woodcraft. The one on my lathe stripped.
    Last edited by John D. Frigillana Jr.; 06-04-2009 at 11:49 PM.

John, you could also just make it our of 1X8 tpi bolt so your chuck and faceplates fit it and then make a mount somehow to use in a bench vise. My tool rest has a 1" post, but I plan on making something to use in a vise as well so I could have a piece on the lathe and also on the carving stand.

The pics below are a few I found on the web and show a few other ideas...I like the one with the bowling ball clamped between PVC cutoffs as you can swivel it around anywhere you need it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bb jig.jpg   carve jig.jpg  
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

Thanks Jeff, just what I needed, more ideas to fill my feeble little brain.

Is that a bowling ball clamped in the "holding bench"? (sorry, don't know what it is really called) Unique, for sure.

I'll be in touch John.

Aloha, Tony
    "You got to learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make them all yourself". (Author unknown)

"Time flies like..... an arrow,,,Fruit flies like..... a banana." Groucho Marx

Ah,,,to live in Paradise!

Registered voting member

Fighting for all I am worth, and praying every day.

It is a bowling ball Tony and the "holding bench" is a Rockwell Jawhorse, I think.

Make sure you both post pics of what you come up with...
    My Website