Serving Tray

Alex Reid

My wife asked me to make a small gift for a friend ah, ah, ah a few months back. Don't worry I said I'll get there. Not one to forget but usually it takes me a while, I finally did it today.

So the idea for this tray came one day when I was at one of those fashion furniture stores in Tokyo. I saw this little serving tray and I thought I could make that and even improve on it. Then I looked a their price tag 180.00 bucks and I thought :eek:.

Anyway this tray is simple in design but has nice lines. The side is done in the style of a shaker box (the improvement) and the handles are 45 degree cross-cuts.

servingtray2.jpg

servingtray1.jpg

servingtray3.jpg

Now that is sharp!!! and a very clean lookin tray.. i might just have to try that one myself.. did you use coper tacks to hold the veneer together and on the sides??

Alex, I really like that! I may steal your idea, looks like a great idea for the craft shows. I see the sides are tilted out a bit, how did you manage that? Did you start with a curved strip, on second look, maybe it's just the picture that makes it appear that way?

Last edited:
Thanks for the comments guys.

Larry those are brass nails I cut then ballpeened flat.

Barry the side is not tapered but I wanted to do that in the beginning. If I angle the side it becomes much more complex to make as the side would basically be an elliptical cone. Not sure how to draw that one out on a flat piece of wood. Any ideas are welcome. :dunno:

Handsome tray Alex. Something nice and different. It looks natural in the picture are you going to apply a finish or is the finish just something i am not seeing in the picture properly. :thumb:

Alex,

That's a great design. I really like the way you created the handles, too. Did you make it from three pieces of wood (two for the base, one for the sides)? If so, is the tension of the band, along with some glue holding the sides to the base? I'm curious, like Art, how thick the base is, if you don't mind???

Thanks,