Serving Tray

Thanks folks for all the comments. This project took about 4hrs to make. Definitely an anomaly in my workshop it was nice to start and finish in one session. I thought you guys would like this as it is an easy one to do and it brings nice results. A great stocking stuffer.

The base is 6mm (1/4") and the band is 2mm thick. I didn't have to steam bend but any thicker than 2mm and I would have had to apply heat. My wife asked if the side is strong enough because it is so thin but really it doesn't need to strong as it is only there to prevent the cookies from rolling off :D . I wouldn't go less than 2mm though.

One tip for those that want to make this. Make sure you keep your reference points for square. You will need them when it comes time to cut the handles on the TS.

Alex that is so cool,
I can not even start to think how to do that :rofl:

Well maybe I can, did you tack the side to the bottom I think I see the tacks there?
Do you "just" as if it is easy :rofl: cut the wood used for the sides really thin so it will bend like that?
I am sure every one else knows but as usual I am clueless :huh:

Dan

Very nice!

You have me thinking about that elliptical cone now. I don't think prior planning will get good results - too many variables to think about - if the cone angle or actual ellipse of the base is slightly different than planned, you might be cooked before you start trying to use planned out bits.

What I think might work would be to cut the base, so the desired ellipse is there, then get a piece of posterboard or something to wrap around the at the appropriate angle. Then carefully cut off the top and bottom of the posterboard and lay that on your wood to be used for the sidewalls. Definitely cut the wood oversize - you'll need to trim, but better that then having the thing be too short or doesn't meet due to the posterboard not exactly matching the angled ellipse.

That is what I would try if I wanted to make an angled elliptical version of your project. Keep in mind that I think your original project is a bit beyond my current abilities though.

That's kind of how I had it figured too, Mark; trial and error with some paper strips till you get it to the way you like it, then use that as your pattern for the side piece. once you get it dialed-in and have a good template, you'll never have to strain your brain on it again:) One of these days I'll give it a shot.

Barry, the problem is I think you'd need a custom pattern for each piece, unless you milled out a bunch of bottoms on a CNC or something. If the angle changes by a small amount or if your ellipse is a slightly different size or shape you might not even be close with the original pattern.

I don't know what room for error there'd be to be good with a slight oversize pattern - maybe if you could see it is different than the first base would give enough tolerance for the first pattern to still work, maybe an invisible difference would require a different pattern.

Circular curves are bad enough to do, compounding them with an angle on an ellipse is a whole new ball of wax. Although, as Larry knows, I tend to be a bit perfectionistic, and it may well be that there's a goodly amount of room for small visible differences to allow one pattern to be useable. I just plain don't know.

Best of luck if you try one though! Maybe you could charge more than $180! :thumb: