I need heat in my basement

There is a HUGE difference between heating a 24x24 garage at 40 degrees in Texas - versus - running a propane heater in a smallish cellar in 15 degrees Massachusetts - just a word of caution there.

Carbon Monoxide
Water vapor

Just to name a couple.

Not to say - instant poison -

I did use a bullet type in my garage shop along with a kerosene space heater, before I got my modine heater.

If I used a propane heater in a house of cellar - I would be very uncomfortable, with that decision.

BUT - I am known - for err - way over on the side of safety. I just don't play with fire.

Been in too many to want to "play" - with it.

I recommend no open flame type or non vented propane heaters.

I hear what you say Leo. Thats why I have the co2 detector. I have had co2 poisoning not from a propane heater but from a kerosene heater that had the flame upset by a very slight draft in the room that wasn't even blowing on the heater. Ended up in the emergency room on that one. The second time was from our natural gas dryer. A bird had gotten past the screen and made a nest and blocked the exhaust. Fortunetly I recognized the symptoms reappering in me and was able to figure out what happened.

As far as miosture have not had a problem in the shop and if you can't keep a basement to atleast 60 degrees even in Mass. then there is a problem. I grew up in Baltimore and could keep my garage at 55 to 60 degrees even with the garage door partly open and it was 2 degrees outside.

You only run the heater on high long enough to bring the temp up and then turn it down to maintain.

At one time Lee Valley had an electric radiant heater. It was inexpensive and efficient IIRC. It wouldn't heat the entire basement; but if you were standing in front of it, if felt like the Florida sun. I use a similar natural gas unit in my shop and like it very much. It keeps my 24 by 24 space warm in subzero weather and doesn't seem to cost much to operate.

Dan you can barely hear the blower fan run.

It has the option of wall mount or free standing also. This coming summer I plan on hooking mine up to my larger 100# propane tanks.

Last edited:
Dan those links you showed actually looked pretty good.

My modine is propane and made for gagages and vents outside - powered venting. Yeah - it cost me - and I was not suggesting it to you. I just fear propane like the bullets.

The smaller one that looked like a space heater looks better than the bullet - but still I fear that stuff

My shop was in my dreams for 30 years before building it.

I have never seen the electric water ? type heaters. Looks interesting.

Worth looking into.

Speaking from a land where basements are rare; I will probably say something stupid. I use the Lasko (same box, not yellow) version of these and although small, they knock the edge off. If we have an unusually cold winter like in the 40's, I will turn these on for a half hour before I go into the shop. They cycle on and off as required but, we have no real "cold" where I live. I replaced a couple of the parabolic radiant heaters with them. The radiant units heated objects but not the air. The room eventually got warm but I had to run them almost constantly.