Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 6" pvc or metal duct suppliers

6" pvc or metal duct suppliers

I'm trying to decide if I should use pvc or metal ductwork for my dust collection system. Any one have any opinions or names of some suppliers I can get either at a reasonable price.

There is an amazing amount of discussion, opinion and even rants on this around here. I went ASTM-2729 for pipe and PVC for fixtures. Very inexpensive BUT, I found price variances like $28 or $13 for the exact same piece of pipe. I believe it was someone on here that steered me onto Horizon. 10 minutes from my work and by far the best price in my area. I'm running a 2HP cyclone and am completely satisfied. It's real easy to modify if things change as they did for me shortly after completion ;-)
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 06-03-2009 at 05:30 PM.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

for metal look up marty"s shop thread he got a deal on some from a place that he was very satisfied with. i ran pvc in the floor and above to the machines.. if yu were closer you could have a mixed batch i have behind the shop.. metal anything from 8" to 3"... you will get alot of opinions on which is better and bill pentz doent like pvc if i recall correctly
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

if you go metal (i did and swear by it) don`t use hvac stuff you`ll suck it flat.
    find a spiral pipe manufacturer locally as marty did or do like i did and salvage 1/8" wall pipe from a defunked feed mill.
    pvc will work but there`s nothing you can do about the static.
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    if you go metal (i did and swear by it) don`t use hvac stuff you`ll suck it flat.
    find a spiral pipe manufacturer locally as marty did or do like i did and salvage 1/8" wall pipe from a defunked feed mill.
    pvc will work but there`s nothing you can do about the static.
    Tod I've found that after being used for awhile my PVC duct didn't have a static problem. Also it helps if the PVC isn't installed where its easily bumped into.
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart

A little bit more help here.I did an advanced search under Marty and came up with nothing. Anyone have a last name I could use to help narrow the search.

If I used hvac duct it would have to be a minimum of 26 ga. Every install I read about that used that had no problems. Any thinner and it would suck it flat.

As far as static buildup on the pvc, you can take care of it by running a ground wire with the ductwork. Thats what I did with my old dc and it took care of the problem

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

Alan, try these 2 places for PVC:

http://www.horizononline.com/

http://direct.where2getit.com/cwc/ap...orrison_supply

The second one is where I got my pipe here in Ft. Worth. But they claim they don't have any fittings. (Ask for 6" thin wall non pressure drain pipe...trust me, they don't know what ATSM-2979 is, even though it is stamped on the side of the pipe. I had to show it to the local guys.)
    Horizon reportedly has some fittings as well as the pipe. My next change in duct work will get me to their place to try them out. Jim.
    Last edited by Jim O'Dell; 06-03-2009 at 08:45 PM.
    Coolmeadow Setters...
    Exclusively Irish!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas
    When Irish Eyes are smiling, they're usually up to something!!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...but most likely, I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, season 3

Jim shows you how dumb I am. Plum forgot about morrison supply off of 610 and 290 here in Houston.

Found a local suppliier of spiral metal duct and the price was right. Jim, you were definitely right about morrison not having a clue about their pvc pipe. Their price was going to be about $150 more and the women at Texas Duct understood what I wanted to do and exactly what questions to ask me.