6 foot TV cabinet

allen its alright,, we all do it,, so join the crowd..as i understand your on the right track to get it fixed dont try to take out the center style or your gonna be sorry probally more so than yu are now. try your wit at a way to add to it if yu need to ,,make it work for you..glued rails and walnut only spell trouble when tryun to break apart.

spent almost 4 hours driving from store to store, borg to borg, looking for new hinges, cause I didnt want to spend 7 dollars shipping.
I had to order them online anyway.

Polyurethaned the inside of box today, did it outdoors under the canopy, and the knats had a field day, kept landing on it and sticking to it.
I gave up picking them off, Ill have to let it dry.
Said to myself, it could be worse, I could own a cat.(nothing against cats, but the painted cabinets story was funny)

I know the feeling Allen. I was painting some black trim one sunday morning and there was'nt a bug in sight till I was spraying the third or fourth piece out of twenty. Never fails.

Heat and Humidity Rule!!!!!!

5 tee shirts today, and at least 6 bottles of water, not to mention another dozen glasses of water at the sink.

The borg plywood disgusts me. I dont really dislike it, I want to go back to the store and make the buyer eat it.
Its frustrating, and Ive been very careful with glue and other chemicals near it, but it doesnt matter.
I will never buy plywood from that store again. Ever. Unless Im boarding up a home for a hurricane.
Rubbed on some oil on the walnut today, the lighter portions just turned almost white. I dont like that either, but my walnut selection was very limited.
Got the doors all sized, (in the picture they are a bit more apart since I didnt put any hinges on yet)got the new hinges today, routed out the back of the doors, used a chisel to square the ends off of the rabbet, and went to the glass guy to order tempered smoked glass.
Stained the doors, took a shot of how it looks so far.
The top is finished. 12 coats of rub on Minwax Gloss poly on top, and 3 coat on bottom.
Im letting it sit in house at room temps and dry very nicely for a few days before I move it.
All in all, I made good progress today.(cut the weeds against the fence also this morning at 9 am, woke up all my neighbors, Im sure they love me now)
Will start polying the doors tomorrow, the walnut frame, and if I have any 1/4 inch oak or maple ply, will cut out a back and stain it.
I cant wait to go back to work this week, I need a day off.:D

Attachments

• wood stuff 996 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 996 (Medium).jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 23
  • wood stuff 997 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 997 (Medium).jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 25
  • wood stuff 998 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 998 (Medium).jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 23
Lookin sharp Allen:thumb:. Don't worry bought wakin up the neighbors, they needed to get up anyway. Hey if we can't sleep why should they.

Lookin sharp Allen:thumb:. Don't worry bought wakin up the neighbors, they needed to get up anyway. Hey if we can't sleep why should they.

thats the truth!!! well allen yur doing it again.. showun us slackers where the road is:) on your sap wood on your walnut,, another place for some dye when yu get familiar with it. lookun good bud.

I thought Id have the doors in by today, and this would be finished.
I wont add the top the back only because the unit is very heavy and I might have to move it while Im installing the doors.
The glass man didnt answer his phone today, I drove by twice, he wasnt in, nor did he return my call.
He told me monday is fine to drop the doors off and hed pin in the glass.
I hope he realizes how he is backing up my project list.

glass came in, the unit is finished, need new hinge

The glass came in today, he pinned it in nicely.
I ran over, and finished the unit just now.
There is a reason I bought blum hinges, and after installing these non mortise finial crapolas, Im sorry I didnt remove the middle bottom stile carefully and take my chances.
It seems the doors on left side of left side didnt hang right, so I tried to adjust them a tiny bit, ofcourse, I bent the hinge. When I tried to straighten it out, I did, but bent the bottom one, and thats that.
Im ordering new hinges so the doors on the left side sit better. Once the hinge bends a tiny bit or moves, its useless for inset doors.(the blum are adjustable, I will never build anything with inferior hinges again, ever, if its furniture.Ive learned my lesson)
When this unit is moved, since I want my son to have it with the coffee table,I will think about adding 1/2 inch to middle stile and trimming 1/8 of inch off of each side of doors, and using correct hinges. Not now, Im done building this summer, its too hot, Im too tired, and I want to re-do my shop and get it into tip top shape, new sliding mitre, lathe, and make room for everything.
Heres a few pics, dont expect to see anything like Robert built, he gives me drive, hopefully one day Ill get there.
thats that little box I was making to kill time. After 4 times, I got the top close enough. Why are my boxes all so ugly?(maybe they take after their designer and builder?)
I cant move the unit, Id guess it at around 275-300 lbs, so I have to wait for some young'uns to get home to move it indoors. It needs to be cleaned.(and I didnt drill any holes for wires until my son tells me where and how many)Ill shoot one pic when it comes indoors and gets loaded up.

Attachments

• wood stuff 1009 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1009 (Medium).jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 19
  • wood stuff 1008 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1008 (Medium).jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 16
  • wood stuff 1007 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1007 (Medium).jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 16
  • wood stuff 1006 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1006 (Medium).jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 16
  • wood stuff 1005 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1005 (Medium).jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 15
  • wood stuff 1004 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1004 (Medium).jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 15
  • wood stuff 1003 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1003 (Medium).jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 16
  • wood stuff 1001 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1001 (Medium).jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
ok allen you can take a break now we have all been out done on the number of projects by yu this year now! so i give yu my permision to get your self a lathe to have some fun with:) yu have definatly earned it and wood craft had the jet with varible speed and the indents like your looking for at around 4 bills.. have fun on your vacation my friend,,yu get :thumb::thumb::wave:

Its temporary home, I hope it wont be here too long. (but noone wanted to put it down in the basement in storage)

Attachments

• wood stuff 1010 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1010 (Medium).jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Sure didn't take you long to get the equipment setup for being a temporary home. I agree with Larry on taking the time off. You have built enough projects in your workshop that now is a good time to try and reorganize it to help make projects go more smoothly. :wave:

And your right. It is just to hot out!

My son just disconnected everything, we had a small tv cabinet there, the tv was mounted on a candelever bracket, he is still working on the other junk and all the accessories.

The only thing I need to build is another finger joint jig, I tried to adjust it a bit, and ruined the one I had.
I might buy one from rockler or somewhere.