a bit unique furniture?

allen levine

I was looking over Build it Green's site in Astoria NY, they advertise reclaimed wood and supplies, inexpensive, so I give a glance now and then.
They listed this site on their title page.
Im not promoting or endorsing anyone or anything, just thought of the different type of design, simple yet cool.
If this type of thread is not permitted, because of endorsement, please delete it, but this is a bit different that what I usually see.

www.nightwoodny.com

Man Allen, that is some ugly stuff there. I guess I have the wrong idea about recycling lumber. I try to make something of the same quality and esthetics out of recycled wood, as I would with virgin material.

The pieces they show look like they're for people who want to show their friends how green they are, even if they have furniture that looks like junk.

Just my [not too humble] opinion.

Different is right. I hate to say it, but some of those look like my early work;) (the stuff only those who've been in my house have seen...) A few of the more refined mixed wood tables weren't bad, but some of the more rustic pieces wouldn't go far imnsho.
However for a 'camp' or similar 'rustic' structure, and you've got the money to buy something... I could see it working for some. I hope they make a go of it, if only for the sake that I want to see more small business growth, that's the only way out of the current mess. (how's that for just barely treading the line.... :rolleyes:)

Nice stuff.

Uhhh - well - I might have recycled it a little differently - like in the woodstove - but then - I don't have much of an artistic flair.

I don't think I would use twisted pine 2x4's for a desktop - that would be heating my house when it's cold outside

I'm not real fond of the random mixed wood look, but I'm sure this furniture will appeal to some folks simply because it's "green". The upholstered pieces were especially ugly IMHO, but others will love them for the "shabby chic" look.

Well, I'm glad some of you posted my thoughts. I was afraid I'd insult Allen by giving my opinion (the stuff looks like junk) so I didn't respond initially.

If people want to be green, maybe they should paint it green to hide some of the ugliness.

Mike

The mix and match would be fine if they had good joinery to tighten it up. I'm learning that I like crisp lines and tight joinery as a style.

I wear it, because it was a gift from my wife and is one of the few really warm shirts I have, but it took some getting used to a shirt that has purposeful exposed seams (looks inside out when properly worn). I get a similar feeling from many of the pieces here, especially the raw legs on some of them.

On the other hand, if enough people are buying that sort of stuff for them to stay in business, my hopes of maybe someday becoming a self-sufficient hobbyist are bolstered.

To each their own, but I sure do feel like a joinery snob right now. :rofl:

Well, I'm glad some of you posted my thoughts. I was afraid I'd insult Allen by giving my opinion (the stuff looks like junk) so I didn't respond initially.
Mike

I posted the site because I look at all sites that cross my path that offer custom or home made style furniture.
There is no way Id be insulted. I dont know the designer or builder, nor would I promote their stuff in any way.

I do find some of the remarks perhaps on the harsh side, only because there are millions upon millions of people like me, that never knew how difficult it is to actually make anything until I tried myself.
anyone who expresses their ideas or designs and can build it with their own hands, to me has a certain level of talent.
I cant knock someone for doing something different even if I dont like it.
Ive seen 50 thousand dollar credenzas with inlays and all that jazz, that I find hideous, but I appreciate the talent and craftsmanship put into it.
I dont think the people building that furniture on that site ever expect it to be on fine furniture sites, but it is what it is intended to be, green, using what others throw in the fireplace, they built usable furniture out of it.
I dont find it untasteful or really ugly, just not my style or thing.

and I wish the designers and builders nothing but success, I hope they rake in millions.

Last edited:
You hit the nail on the head Allen. I remember a time not to long ago when I went dumpster diving and found an old beatup fish stand and a set of broken bunk beds and made a redneck entertainment center out of it cause we couldn't afford anything else. To some people this is art and they would pay high dollar for it.