Dyed and Limed Ash

Paul Gallian

In Memoriam
Saw a beautiful dyed red bowl on the AAW website.

Has anyone used this process with failure or success?

Would you please share the process? How(s), with what, results.

The Lime ash part was intriguing.

paul

Not sure of the process you mean? There is a galaxy of different finish/dye tricks out there. Do you have a picture? It may be your best bet is to ask the person who posted the pic.

This forum has been rather slow lately: Just trying to perk it up. :)

I did email him(owner of the bowl) have not received a reply yet.
Wanted to ask turners on this forum what they know about using lime ash.
Googled lime ash and got mixed results.

the referred bowl is : http://www.aawforum.org/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=6648

Yes many dyes and many ways of using them-- wanted to get some action on the forum... :type: :wave:

Yea, I hear ya. Maybe you could do some experimenting and come up with your own "look". A lot of people who post pics on the AAW are pros, and may consider their finish a "trade secret". BTW I'm a Missouri native, from up around Kirksville.

I have done several ash pieces. You can see some in my AAW gallery http://www.aawforum.org/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=10038&sl=m

An alternative to a dye is scorching it black. You can whiten the unscorched by using a white pickling solution that you should be able to get at Michaels. You can buy a can of liming wax for about $20 to highlite the grain. Or you can buy some oil based white pigment at someplace like Michaels and mix with a paste wax which is what I used to create my own liming wax. You can Google pickling and liming wax and come up with some additional info and recipes.

I used an ebonizing solution (rust and vinegar) on one piece with nice effect. Betty Scarpino does a lot of coloring and liming so do a google on her and you should be able to find some club presentation notes. The key is putting a couple of lite coats of lacquer on the dyed or scorched piece before using the liming wax so that you can easily remove the excess.

Good luck.

WOW -- good info!! Thanks for the replies.... I enjoy the mystery and research but no need to reinvent the wheel so to speak..

I guess I was somewhat confused ---

I think now that the wood was Ash and not lime ash or lye from wood ash..
:huh: :eek::dunno:

My old (now dead) graduate professor in plant taxonomy would say " that tree will make an ash out of you every time"