Sorby Hollowing Scrapers........?

Stuart Ablett

I'm looking at some new tools, a bit of cash fell into my pocket the other day :D and I've got the OK to spend it on some tools, add to the order I have in at Woodcraft.

I saw these and I was wondering if anyone has a set and or what they think of this new depth gauge thing?

From the Woodcraft site........

Hollow Vessel Scraper Set

sorby_hf_scrapers.jpg

These new versatile scrapers, designed specifically for hollow vessel turning, are the absolute best turning tool innovation we have seen in years.
Set includes three tools, a spear point scraper with depth stop, tight bend right hand scraper, and an adjustable point right hand scraper with a more open bend and an amazingly simple thickness gauge.
The HSS tip on the adjustable scraper allows unlimited cutting angles. How do they work? Start by boring a center hole in your work with the spear point scraper. It centers itself and, with the depth stop, drills a hole to the exact depth you require. You'll never have to guess about depth of cut or ruin a project by cutting too deep again.

Once your center is bored you can use one of the bent scrapers to begin hollowing your piece. The best feature of this kit is the revolutionary wall thickness gauge which eliminates the trial and error or guesswork process of determining wall thickness.
The gauge attaches to the ferrule of either scraper (it has a 3/4" ID). Adjust the "feeler gauge" to your desired wall thickness, then turn to this exact dimension by scraping until the gauge's finger loop is held tight against the tool handle.
Using this new thickness gauge anyone can create thin wall vessels and be confident that the wall thickness is consistent throughout the piece. Overall tool length 14", blades range from 5 to 5-1/2" in length, ash handles with 3/4" brass ferrules.
If anyone can spread some light on this set of tools, in particular the thickness gauge thing, I'd be interested.

Cheers!

Stuart, LOML bought me that set for Christmas, but it has not made it to the shop yet. After looking over several options, that one seemed to be the best option for me. The tools seem to be very well made, although I have my doubts as to how well the thickness guide will work..........

The small diameter of the shafts compared to some others available just can't be as strong as bigger. That hinged arrangement looks like a weakness asking to fail. OTOH, Sorby is a good brand and not prone to selling junk.
Have I mentioned my Don Pencil hollowing set? ;) Stout shafts, very heavy duty and the arm/hand grip arrangement is really nice for those inevitable catches. Not only is it a safety feature, it is a comfort feature that allows working for longer periods of time without fatigue.
Get the 'blem' set and prices are really competitive.
http://www.donpencil.com/

The small diameter of the shafts compared to some others available just can't be as strong as bigger. That hinged arrangement looks like a weakness asking to fail. OTOH, Sorby is a good brand and not prone to selling junk.

The main reason I went with this set is because I'm limited to a mini lathe -- If I had a full size lathe I would have gone with a more substantial set.

No experience with the Sorby, but if you suspect you might be getting into a captive hollow form rig in the future (something you could weld up in an afternoon, knowing you), I'd suggest forgoing the traditional hollowing scrapers and going with something that'll be usable in a captive rig.

Here's one bunch that was recommended to me a while back. These also have been highly recommeded to me. The Monster site will likely give you some ideas of things to build...check the picture at the very bottom of this page. (I'm getting the MHFL kit, second from the bottom of the page.) You could make your own straight handle (steel or aluminum), then use the same tools when you build your D-handle and secondary (captive) tool rest.

Just my uneducated opinion... ;)

Yes, I'm going to build a captive rig, and to be honest, I'm more interested in how the thickness feeler gauge thingy works :D

The smaller hollowers would be good for Christmas ornaments etc, but again, I'm fairly confident I can make them.

Cheers!

No experience with the Sorby, but if you suspect you might be getting into a captive hollow form rig in the future (something you could weld up in an afternoon, knowing you), I'd suggest forgoing the traditional hollowing scrapers and going with something that'll be usable in a captive rig.

Here's one bunch that was recommended to me a while back. These also have been highly recommeded to me. The Monster site will likely give you some ideas of things to build...check the picture at the very bottom of this page. (I'm getting the MHFL kit, second from the bottom of the page.) You could make your own straight handle (steel or aluminum), then use the same tools when you build your D-handle and secondary (captive) tool rest.

Just my uneducated opinion... ;)

Are you wishing to start a Monster vs. Pencil duel? Sunup on the river bank. :rofl:

Are you wishing to start a Monster vs. Pencil duel? Sunup on the river bank. :rofl:
You're on, pardner...skews at 20 paces! :D Oh, and can we make it for 2:00 PM instead of sunup? I'm a late sleeper.

Yeah, I should have included the Pencil stuff...I've heard it's also good stuff. His arm brace handle looks much more comfortable than the Jordan handle.

Overall tool length 14", blades range from 5 to 5-1/2" in length, ash handles with 3/4" brass ferrules.

A couple of things to keep in mind.

The most you'll be able to work off the rest is 3 to 3.5 inches. Thats not only depth but could be a problem for width also since a mini can swing up to 10 inches.
The bent or swan necks require the straight part of the tool to stay on the rest.The one pictured in the piece, you can see how many times this would require moving the rest.
The Pencil Stinger is a better option for small forms or the combo stinger/scorpion IMHO

Bump..... :D

OK, here is the result of my first bent hollowing tool....

new_hollowing_tool1.jpg

new_hollowing_tool_closetip1.jpg

I did the skewchigouge kind of grind on it,seemed to work OK, I'll certainly making more of these kinds of tools.

Cheers!

You're on, pardner...skews at 20 paces! :D Oh, and can we make it for 2:00 PM instead of sunup? I'm a late sleeper.

Yeah, I should have included the Pencil stuff...I've heard it's also good stuff. His arm brace handle looks much more comfortable than the Jordan handle.

The Pencil set is the first hollowing tool I have ever used, so I can't compare. But it is comfortable and makes adjusting and holding 'jest right' easy. The word would be 'control'.
As for reach and small objects, between the option of the straight bar and cutter head shapes and sizes, the set is very usable for even small vases and such. Plus, the set comes with adapters to use with tools from other manufacturers and/or your own homemade tools.