Thread: Frank a good read for you

Frank a good read for you

We have similar passions in this early history maybe some others will enjoy this

http://www.worthpoint.com/blog-entry...ned-their-name

Thanks, that a good article.
    And, it is essentially very accurate.
    I could pick nits about the "patchbox". Many historians claim no evidence has been found that patches were actually kept in these and that they actually were, more likely, used to hold tools like a worm for pulling patches or extra flints. Some didn't have patchboxes but only a hole, about the size of a silver dollar, which was filled with tallow for patch lubing.
    I will argue with his statement about calibers on the various periods of rifles. The transitionals were more likely in the .45 caliber range. Builders knew lead was scarce and heavy to carry. They also knew a .45 would bring down an indian or Redcoat or whitetail deer just fine and big calibers were not necessary.
    That same, big caliber, myth applies to Jaegers when, in fact, most were in the .45 to .50 range. A few were found in the .60 to .80 cal. range but they were rare and far from typical.
    Still an excellent article, I'm saving it.
    BTW, I knew Joe Kindig. Special person.

Frank, I would agree with you about the patch boxes. Usualy the patch was a leight of linnen that was placed on the barrol and the ball was seated on and then cut to fit. Don't forget about the nipple pick.
    I've worked on and studied many period rifles that were 36 cal - 45 cal. Very few 50-54 cals.
    Most commoners carried fowlers some with the 50 cent hole in the side for the lube.
    Question; was there a signing of the war of 1812 in DC or was it in Europe? I was under the impression that 2 treaties were signed.

Plead ignorance on that one.
    I need to take pictures of my transitional rifle and post.
    BTW, it's a .45