spalted maple lumber?

ok is there any call for spalted maple lumber? and if so how far does one let it go before its junk,either for turners or boards?

As long as it is not squishy, it can be desirable.
Answer to question: Yes, there is call for any strange looking wood, especially spalt. Even soft wood can be stabilized for turning for smaller stuff.

ok is there any call for spalted maple lumber? and if so how far does one let it go before its junk,either for turners or boards?

I'd say there is a ready market for spalted Maple...either boards or turning blanks. Thicker planks that can be resawn into bookmatched boards are especially prized.

Knowing when to arrest the spalting is a hit-or-miss proposition, though. You want the spalting to be developed enough to be interesting but if it goes too far and the wood becomes punky, the value goes way down...and it may be worthless.

BTW, the MC must remain above 20% for spalting to occur/continue.

I'd say there is a ready market for spalted Maple...either boards or turning blanks. Thicker planks that can be resawn into bookmatched boards are especially prized.

Knowing when to arrest the spalting is a hit-or-miss proposition, though. You want the spalting to be developed enough to be interesting but if it goes too far and the wood becomes punky, the value goes way down...and it may be worthless.

BTW, the MC must remain above 20% for spalting to occur/continue.

well cody i have some chunks now that have some and will ake bowl blanks but it wasnt big enought to cut for boards and the spalting is just sting to go the center was still solid as a rock..but i got more to look at and may get lucky..

What's that???

Did someone say bowl blank?

Well, Larry, here's a story for ya. There was a customer in the store a couple months ago. He had a friend who dabbled in milling, and someone gave him a trunk about 15' long and 40" in diameter (or more) that was fully spalted but not punky. A turner (of whom I don't know the name) wanted it, and offered sight unseen $15,000.00!!!! Yes, 15 GRAND!!

But more likely planks are the ticket. There are people who cherish spalted lumber. Plus, with unique sawing (such as natural edge slabs) you could easily make some good money.

Hutch

I was looking on ebay about a year ago at spalted maple book matched panels. They were going for really high prices. a 1/4 inch thick by 15 wide by about 24 long was going for around 70 dollars. :eek:

wow guys,, i just cut up a 12" log and split of a chuck to check for punk and its solide.. but its in 20" to 24" long chunks.. and i got a line on some big maples that should be spalted as well,,they have been outside for several years and were hard maple.. does that spalt better or worse than soft maple?

well here is some spault!

these are two of the chunks i cut up and can get more out of if this will work for anyone..

IMG_1189tn_.jpg IMG_1190tn_.jpg

IMG_1191tn_.jpg IMG_1192tn_.jpg

so drop me a pm or here either way. and if this isnt right for you spinny guys tell me so. this isnt punky!

larry start slicing it up, by next years tour you can be chauffered or flown in an helicopter.

I can just picture it now:

Some FWW's kids start screaming one morning, as they are looking out their front window."daddy, someone is landing a helicopter on our front lawn!!!!!!"

The FWW member looks out, and sighs, "oh man, I hoped Larry would come in the pickup, not the Sikorsky, he aint got no walnut in that thing."

OOOOOH!

That looks really nice!!! And yes, it's great for us spinny guys, especially since it's not punky.

As far as hard vs. soft maple, hard maple spalts a little more reliably (meaning it doesn't rot as quickly and easily). In the really soft maples, like silver maple, it can get punky VERY quickly.

Do you have any large crotch pieces, say in the 16-24" diameter range? I may have to make a road trip to your place some time soon. That stuff is gorgeous!

Hutch

larry start slicing it up, by next years tour you can be chauffered or flown in an helicopter.

I can just picture it now:

Some FWW's kids start screaming one morning, as they are looking out their front window."daddy, someone is landing a helicopter on our front lawn!!!!!!"

The FWW member looks out, and sighs, "oh man, I hoped Larry would come in the pickup, not the Sikorsky, he aint got no walnut in that thing."

I think Larry could fit a little more walnut in a Skycrane than his little pickup. :rofl:

Those are some beautiful looking bowl blanks. Good luck with your continued harvesting!

Hey Larry and here i am trying to stick to flatwork and get something dun and you send me bowl blanks and now tout spalted blanks. If I did not know better i would have thought u was an undercover agent for them spinny guys what sucks us all into their vortex. :rofl::rofl:

Stop!:):thumb::rofl::rofl:

Those blanks are so desirable you had better watch out for them spinny guys crawling around your place at night:rofl:

Second thoughts here I think you one of them dealer types, gets a man hooked on these drugs called good lumber and then feeds our habit.:rofl::rofl::rofl:

You need to get you some Rob. Just got back from Larrys and saw them up front and personal :eek: This is really nice stock. Let alone the PILE of wood in his back yard :eek:, HOLY COW he has so many logs back there its crazy. Well we will have to have another "the dust was flying" part 2 when he cuts this stuff up

well frank,, i am sorry for there spoiled keyboards but i got four more that are 5.5 x 10 that tom saw this for noon and can cut a couple more out.. but i dont turn and the pm's havnt been rollun in.. let alone what in bulk form yet..

well matt hutchinson was just here and left with 6 big spalted bowl and platter blanks 24 inchers and gave me his approval of the small bowl blanks, i had pics of and i have got at least 6 more that are bigger than those that are prime.. so if anyone has interst .. ring the bell:) also have some clear ash that is 27" long and around 10" dia of pith free wood the log was a 28 incher.. so let me know folks.. or it gets put elsewhere