My 1st real try at nice box... DONE !

O.K. I know I'm late but, My first thought went to flame birch. Of course it could be curly cherry. It looks like it might have one pitch pocket in the lid?

Beautiful wood all the same. By the way cherry is easy to identify in that if you put a penny or something on it and leave it in the sun for a bit you will see the color change. Might want to do that on a non-show surface.

Nice job on the box. We await the finish.............

I decided the box needed something inside.

So I build a little sliding tray. I have a piece of the outside boards left from the re-saw. So I milled it down to 1/8". Did some glue up that counted on the 6" belt sander giving me flush edges. Worked really well.

I also used the 1/8" material to provide the rails in the box for the sliding component.

Attachments

• IMG_2462.JPG
    IMG_2462.JPG
    95.8 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_2464.JPG
    IMG_2464.JPG
    100.4 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_2483.JPG
    IMG_2483.JPG
    78.9 KB · Views: 24
After getting the sliding tray done it is time to get some finish on this.

I have selected shellac as my finish. I have never worked with shellac before so it has been a definite learning experience.

The 1st coat was ok. I knew it would be a sealer coat that needed complete sanding after application.

The 2nd and 3rd coat caused problems. I put it on way too thick. I read my finishing books and really came to believe I need a thinner cut.

I now have the last coat on using what I think is a 1 lb cut. It was much better. I do not mind putting on many coats.

I have also now using water based wet sanding with 400 wet/dry paper between coats. That also seems to be working.

I AM enjoying the experience. Many guys complain about finishing, but I just feel it is part of the process.

So here are a few pics of what it look like now. Note these are close to the right color, but I am having trouble getting a good picture with the "right" color.

I have also decided to only finish one "side" at a time. This last coat was outside only. I will put the next coat on the inside.

Hopefully after several coats I will be able to Briwax it and it will be what I wanted.

Attachments

• IMG_2551.JPG
    IMG_2551.JPG
    140.8 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_2552.JPG
    IMG_2552.JPG
    129.8 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_2542.JPG
    IMG_2542.JPG
    94.4 KB · Views: 28
It's DONE...

I struggled with the shellac. Finally got it thin enought. I think I am using 1 lb cut.

I wet sanded with 400 wet/dry after each of several coats of shellac.

The after the last coat I used 1500 wet/dry and Briwax as a compound. Got a glass smooth finish. I do not like real shinny finishes. And turns out real smooth.

Here are the best of the pictures. I want to sell these and other small items so I need to get a lot better at pictures.

This one has been promised to a friend at work for his wifes birthday.

Just out of curiosity, what would you charge for a box like this. Or better yet what do we think someone would pay for a box like this.

It's about 8 1/2" W, 5" D 4" H

This one is certainly not perfect. I am going to make a group of 3 while I still remember the mistakes. These will probably be Xmas presents.

Attachments

• IMG_2575.JPG
    IMG_2575.JPG
    88.7 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_2577.JPG
    IMG_2577.JPG
    77.3 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_2583.JPG
    IMG_2583.JPG
    81.7 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_2581.JPG
    IMG_2581.JPG
    72.3 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_2587.JPG
    IMG_2587.JPG
    117.4 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_2565.JPG
    IMG_2565.JPG
    83.5 KB · Views: 19
That came out looking very nice, Bartee. :clap: I'm not much help on the pricing question. What I think it's worth and what I think the public would pay are fairly far apart. (I run into the same issue pricing turned pieces. The general public has no idea what it takes to handcraft a piece.) A few years ago I did trade a box about the same size and degree of difficulty as yours for a like-new Porter-Cable 690 router with the 'D' handle.

REALLY Nice, Bartee, and I sure like those "High Dollar" Brass Hinges you used as they truly fit the style and add to the Fine quality of the box. In today's market, I really don't know on price, AND it depends so much on where and to what clientele it is presented to. A Good "Gallery" would most likely price it between $165 and $195, from what I have seen, BUT even that can and will vary widely depending on what part of the country they are located.

When pricing comes up, I am always reminded of the fellow that was breaking his son into the eye glass business. When he had taught him all about every part of the business he said, Now for the most important part,......Pricing. YOu quote the customer a price, then if they don't blink, SAY EACH.:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Norman and Vaughn, thanks for you input.

I am thinking the $165 is about right. Norman you are right about the hinges, they are about $20. But nothing else would feel right on the box. Also time spent will never make any sense. I am looking at retirement money in 4 years, so time is not of the essence.

Like I said I am going to make 3 more of these hopefully for Xmas presents.

Then I am going to concentrate on some clocks.

I did absolutely enjoy making this. It really challenged my abilities, which is the only way we advance our craft.

The finishing is very time consuming. I enjoy the finishing process, but just want a better result and it would be nice if it were a little easier. I hope to move t spraying shellac at some time.

Now back to the green egg table the the infamous table for my daughter