Thread: Time to learn something new...

Time to learn something new...

This followed me home yesterday.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	earlex1.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	140.3 KB 
ID:	33320

It seems to get good reviews, and the price is not bad for a hobbiest like myself. I won't call it a gloat, since I paid for it after all, but I am looking forward to adding "spraying" to my skillset.
    There's usually more than one way to do it...
    www.wordsnwood.com ........ facebook.com/wordsnwood

Don't be afraid to show us some practice pieces! Nice new toy.

I've read good comments about that system. Looking forward to seeing your opinions on it after some use.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

I have read a lot of good things about it.

One post was about using it for water based poly...

I would love to get better finishes with less work...

Link to Popular WW blog post

Quote Originally Posted by Bartee Lamar View Post
    I would love to get better finishes with less work...
    I think the best you'll get towards this is "better finishes with work I'm more willing to do."

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    I've read good comments about that system. Looking forward to seeing your opinions on it after some use.
    Here's a "before use" comment or two:

Well the manual is simple, short, and clear. ... And also British -- if you don't know what the "mains" are you're going to be confused. It refers to the mains several times in the manual. (Mains refers to being plugged in. ie: electricity.)

It's lightweight, and the sprayer part disassembles quite easily. There really aren't that many parts.

Marc Spagnuolo, over on his woodwhisperer review, warned about finger clearance on the trigger and he's right. It is a bit tight between the trigger and the pot. We'll see how that is in use. As delivered, the small air pressure line that goes into the pot is kind of in the way of my 3rd/4th fingers, I'm going to see if I can just turn the pot sideways a bit to get that a little out of the way when I use it, but then there is the lock mechanism also, so I know I can't just turn it 180 degrees. We'll see.

I have fairly average/large hands, but not very thick fingers, so I think I'll be okay.

I do like how the sprayer just fits into the center/top of the turbine. It is an elegantly simple design, and seems like it'll be very easy to carry and move around.

I have a project that I need to start this week that will not require spraying, but after that I have a small project where I'll want to spray some latex paint. So I should be able to report something back in about 3-4 weeks.

...art

I too have been considering that unit. Yes, tell us how it lays down a finish!

okay... for a variety of reasons, the summer kind of got away from me. I mean in terms of woodworking, that is.

However, tonight I finally got to try out this thing.

Bear in mind, I've never ever done any spraying, or had any instruction. I have just seen a few people waving these things around, and I watched Marc Spagnuolo's review of this unit also a couple times.

So tonight I shot a small test piece for my fishtank stand. It was so easy, I grabbed all my drawer boxes and flipped them upside down to spray, and I also set out the top, and then sprayed them also. There's no point in taking a photo, as no photo I could take would show much after one coat of finish.

Some random thoughts, then:

This thing is really uncomplicated. You fill the cup with finish (I was spraying flecto varathane WB) and clip it on. You turn the front spray selector to choose either veritcal, horizontal, or round. You adjust the knob on the back of the handle to adjust volume. That's really about it.

I set up a piece of cardboard to help estimate how much to spray, which I think is a good idea. So I sprayed the cardboard, adjusted the volume knob, sprayed the cardboard some more, and so on.

The finish on the drawer bottoms came out just fine for a first coat on bare baltic birch. I'd say there is some definite grain raising, but not tons.

The finish on the top (which already had 3 thin coats of rattle-can shellac) came out pretty nice also. The texture is not glass smooth, but I didn't really expect that. I'll probably lightly sand with 320 or 220 grit before the next coat.

I think I should try a slightly thicker coat next time, this was pretty thin. on both items.

Cleaning was no worse than rinsing a brush: dump the leftover finish back into your can, rinse out the cup and wipe it out. Fill it with water and run it through the gun for a bit. Then I took off the front part of the sprayer (air cap, air cap ring, air distributor plate/spring) and made sure they were clean also, and then left it to dry.

There is one rather surprising oddity. Go back to the first post and see the photo... see that handle that you use to carry around the earlex unit? It's not attached! Seriously! It's just friction fit into the top of the unit. I happened to give it a light jerk and it just popped right out. It stays in tight if you just carry it around, but that seems a bit flimsy. Though I admit it makes it a bit easier to fit the unit into a cupboard for storage.

I'll report back some more when I get further on finishing the fishtank stand.

Well Good ! Look forward to seeing so neet stuff.

BTW if anyone would care to learn some finishing I am open to teaching. Just need to come out and spend a week or two at the shop. Hands on.

I have the model below that one as I didn't have enough to buy that one at the time.

Works well with latex if you can thin it or use flotrol. I've only sprayed a couple of things so far though so I'm not an expert.
    パトリック
    daiku woodworking
    ^deshi^
    neoshed