Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Built In Cabinet Design

Built In Cabinet Design

One of my clients has asked for a built in cabinet for a tall, narrow alcove in a kitchen. Here are three ideas I've come up with so far. Glass, divided light doors were requested for the uppers and beadboard panels on the lower doors and between up and lower cabinets. It was suggested that the toe kick space be slightly enlarged to make room for a couple of bun feet which show in concepts 2 and 3.

I'm expecting there'll be some modifications and perhaps a bit of mix and match. Any thoughts? Opinions?
    Last edited by Dave Richards; 08-08-2009 at 03:38 PM.
    Irony: The opposite of Wrinkly

Hello Dave. Concept #3 looks more appealing w/ the open shelving, drawer and bun feet. I would also keep the crown molding as long as it fits with the current cabinetry. #3 looks more like a piece of furniture. I don't like the stacked door look in #1 & 2. Ron

I agree.

Thank you gentlemen. I like no. 3 best, too. The first two were closer to what the client described but I like the shelves. I have to wait for a response from the client but I think adding a crown molding to it will be a good thing.

Yep, #3 gets my vote too, especially for a kitchen!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Here's another vote for #3. They could use the open shelves for displaying dishes, etc. If the client doesn't like the open shelves then perhaps leaving the shelves out so they'll have lots of vertical space for food processors, etc. or using pin holes for moveable shelving would work.

I like #3 also. How tall is it, must be at least 10'. The top cabinet won't see much use I'm guessing. Good job Dave, are you building it also..........?

Looks like we all got voted down. The client likes number 2 but with some modifications I'm waiting to hear about. I do know the bead board is out.

Thank you, Les. It's 111" from floor to ceiling. I won't be building it. Actually, my client is the cabinet maker who will be building it for his client.

Concept #4 .... put the glass in the very top cabinet doors and not in the lower ones... ???

Keep the drawer. A single drawer pulls the whole thing together from side to side, versus having one big long center line splitting it in half.
    Drawers are also very useful. Wish I had more in my kitchen.

...art

ps: how wide is it? I wonder if the glass panels make it look extra skinny. What if the glass was just divided in two vertical sections instead of three ??
    Last edited by Art Mulder; 06-09-2009 at 01:15 PM. Reason: postscript
    There's usually more than one way to do it...
    www.wordsnwood.com ........ facebook.com/wordsnwood

Art, I think the drawer is a go. I have to wait a few days to hear what other changes the client wants. At this point I don't think it would be wise to offer the client more choices until I hear what they are thinking.

I do agree with you on the drawer. I think the very top cabinet will be a place to store the holiday dishes. We'll see, though.