Shellac not setting up

Jay Lock

Hi everyone

I made a footstool for a friend for an Xmas present -- got it built so I could slap a bow on it and give it to her when we went to Xmas dinner, but had to take it back to finish it.

It is maple, I am going to do a shellac sealer with poly wipe on.

The shellac isn't setting up. It has been hot and humid here and letting it dry in the garage probably hasn't been a good thing. I bought it into the house so it has been sitting in AC for about 24 hours. If I press hard on a surface I can see a finger print mark. I have 3 coats on applied about 12 hours apart.

So before I sand it off and start again I thought I'd ask your opinion.

I'm using Zinnser Bullseye Clear, cut 50%.

Thanks for the advice

Jay

Doug

3/28/05 can says it is good for 3 years from manufactured date.

Of course it has been stored in the garage and it does get a bit warm down here.

Jay

Jay, both shellac (flakes) and alcohol are hygroscopic (sp?) and the shelf life is (I think) based on its being unopened. If it has been opened before I would worry that it may not have been resealed as well as it might have been and had absorbed too much water. Good shellac (at 1-2 lb. cut) should set up in less than 1/2 hour and re coat in an hour. Before you start sanding you might want to do a wipe down with alcohol to see how much you can get off.