Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finishing off the Shop Addition

Finishing off the Shop Addition

A few years ago, I added a 20 x 24 cold storage addition to my 20 x 28 shop. Once I sell the old boat, 1966 Thompson deep V with a 40 HP, I will be able to begin finishing the area.

My main reason for adding this space is area for assembly. My shop is small for assembling cabinets, especially when more than one is in progress.

The electrical is done, except for a couple of 220 circuits that will have to be relocated when I relocate the cyclone and tablesaw.

I am in no hurry. I plan to get the stud walls and ceiling insulated before winter. If it is totally done by Spring, I will be happy. Building material prices are definitely in our favor right now. I heat with an outdoor wood boiler, but I dont think this will add that much load.

I am thinking about tongue and groove pine or shiplap for finishing the walls. The ceiling will definitely be drywall. The walls and ceiling of the old portion are drywall. However, the price of drywall is quite attractive. I just hate finishing drywall.
    Rich (the Yooper)

"To the world, you may be one person, but to one person, you may be the world."

"Common sense is not so common."

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Aldrich View Post
    .... I just hate finishing drywall.
    Don't finish it. You'll know where all the studs are without measuring, and it's really not offensive once you get used to the grey color.

Would it cost that much if you hang the sheet-rock & have someone come in & tape it & texture or even have them hang & tape & texture it. Being able to use it that much sooner may be well worth the money.
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart

Quote Originally Posted by Bart Leetch View Post
    Would it cost that much if you hang the sheet-rock & have someone come in & tape it & texture or even have them hang & tape & texture it. Being able to use it that much sooner may be well worth the money.
    I don't know if I would ever texture a wall in a shop. Dust magnet!!
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

i wouldnt run drywall in any of it,, yu bump it yu got hole use osb and hang any thing anywhere and paint it white.. and we know yu got a supplier not far away
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Constable View Post
    Don't finish it. You'll know where all the studs are without measuring, and it's really not offensive once you get used to the grey color.
    That is a good idea.
    Rich (the Yooper)

Quote Originally Posted by Bart Leetch View Post
    I know a few people who might be hungry for business by the time I am ready. They might be willing to deal a little.
    Rich (the Yooper)

sorry larry! i'm siding with the drywall gang. even if you do nothing with it, you've got a space to run the numbers, or make a quick sketch, without worrying about ruining a paint job.
    benedictione omnes bene

www.burroviejowoodworking.com

check out my etsy store, buroviejowoodworking

Quote Originally Posted by Rennie Heuer View Post
    I agree. Besides, my wife might frown on having textured finish in the shop and none in the house.
    Rich (the Yooper)

Quote Originally Posted by Rennie Heuer View Post
    Yes Rennie your right but you can't see the walls in my shop anyway.

Of course 13'5" x 24'5" with all the tools storage for tools & lumber rack could explain why there is no empty wall space.

Stu & I work real hard to out do each other & still have room to work.
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart