Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: getting to old for this (update)starting to get there

bethel springs TN, but was born and raised in north east PA

getting to old for this (update)starting to get there

This is the house i'm working on at my real job.Of corse this will be a 100% finished basement.We will be putting a story and a half on top of this.It will be right at 10,500 sq feet heated.As i'm the lead man on this job i sure wish my boss would get me some help that shows up every day on time.We figure it'll take about 3 months just to frame it as there is a lot of special stuff going into it.I'll take some more pics as we progress.
    Steve
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 002 [640x480].JPG   003 [640x480].JPG   004 [640x480].JPG  
    Last edited by Stephen Bellinger; 04-15-2010 at 10:16 PM.

wow!!!

and yur worried about work i dont think so who ever is gettin this one has got some bucks somewhere.. thats one huge house and the site looks great too!!!
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post
    and yur worried about work i dont think so who ever is gettin this one has got some bucks somewhere.. thats one huge house and the site looks great too!!!
    Larry yea i guess i'm not real worried about my job as we have another one about the same size coming up.Perry(my boss)has got the drive way going in right now.These are bouth for doctors.The one i'm working on is for a eye surgeon and the other DR. ownes a number of clinics.I haven't even seen that lot yet but i'm sure i will.

I guess I just don't understand folks who build that big. That's just an incredible amount of space. How many of us gew up with five or six siblings in a 1400sf house? How did we ever get by?

Most of the folks I work with are retired military, now contractor types working for the AirForce. Soooo many run out and buy three times the house they had all the time the kids were growing up. I can see trading up a bit, but they all buy 'big'.

Yeah, anything over about 9500 sf is just a waste.

I'll be looking forward to seeing progress pics on this one. Looks like it'll be a lot of work, but it should also be one to remember.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

So I guess the 3400 sq. ft. poolhouse I just built for the job I just finished isn't considered to much to go with the 8000+ sq. ft. house.

you guys just have way to much money to play with building private cities to live in
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

you guys just have way to much money to play with building private cities to live in
    With my available funds, I was thinkging about something like this maybe....

>>>Small House<<<

Stephen, Glad you keeping busy, but also glad I'm not the one that will be making those mortgage payments.
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

We have several in the county that are in the million dollar class. Folks that own them keep a low profile. I'm sure Tod is familiar with some of them.
    However, some are starting to come on the market as the retirees who built them are dying off or getting too old for such large places. From what I have seen, the asking prices are about 50% of what the owners have invested in the places. After all, if you can spend $1.5 million on a lodge, you are going to build what you want and not buy someone else's tastes.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Constable View Post
    I guess I just don't understand folks who build that big. That's just an incredible amount of space. How many of us gew up with five or six siblings in a 1400sf house? How did we ever get by?

Most of the folks I work with are retired military, now contractor types working for the AirForce. Soooo many run out and buy three times the house they had all the time the kids were growing up. I can see trading up a bit, but they all buy 'big'.
    Kirk i don't under stand it ether but i'm glad some folks can still afford it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    Yeah, anything over about 9500 sf is just a waste.

I'll be looking forward to seeing progress pics on this one. Looks like it'll be a lot of work, but it should also be one to remember.
    Yea and here i got to live in my little 1600 sq foot house.I build the big ones just can't afford to live in them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Bienlein View Post
    So I guess the 3400 sq. ft. poolhouse I just built for the job I just finished isn't considered to much to go with the 8000+ sq. ft. house.
    Alan if your like me we can build them just can't afford the elec bill let a lone the mortage payments.
    Larry i wish i had some say in the money,but the boss keeps all that to him self.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Bower View Post
    With my available funds, I was thinkging about something like this maybe....

>>>Small House<<<

Stephen, Glad you keeping busy, but also glad I'm not the one that will be making those mortgage payments.
    Jeff like i said i coun't afford the elec bill let alone the mortage payment
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fusco View Post
    We have several in the county that are in the million dollar class. Folks that own them keep a low profile. I'm sure Tod is familiar with some of them.
    However, some are starting to come on the market as the retirees who built them are dying off or getting too old for such large places. From what I have seen, the asking prices are about 50% of what the owners have invested in the places. After all, if you can spend $1.5 million on a lodge, you are going to build what you want and not buy someone else's tastes.
    Your right Frank. The folks that have that kind of money want what they want and will get it.