Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: It sucks when your dog dies...

It sucks when your dog dies...

Well my four legged buddy fell asleep on the kitchen floor for the last time. It actually happened last week but I went to pick up his ashes today and it put us all back into a downer mood.

It's not the same as losing a person, no comparison really. Yet for some reason God makes these creatures to fill in some part of our own souls. They love us, follow us, listen to us and trust us for a pat on the head and some food.

Twelve years ago I found a sick puppy in a church parking lot. He was with me for a couple of girlfriends before I married my wife and we had the kids, he was their buddy too. My companion on cross country trips, hiking, fishing, snow tramping, general shop and yard dog. We used to pull peoples legs and tell them he was an Amish Shepherd because he didn't use electricity, computers or drive a car.

On the other hand my three year old has composed a song in his honor sung to the tune of Little Bunny Foo Foo. I have to record it because a three year old's perspective on death is certainly unique.

Thanks for reading.

Elmo 1997-2009

Dan Gonzales
    Whittier, CA, USA
    Dona nobis pacem

condolences dan, i know how it goes. i had to put down a cat that i had for over 17 years. not easy having to do it, but he knew it was time.
    benedictione omnes bene

www.burroviejowoodworking.com

check out my etsy store, buroviejowoodworking

Many of us know the heart ache all too well. And you're right, it sucks. May the shamrocks fall softly. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...
    Exclusively Irish!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas
    When Irish Eyes are smiling, they're usually up to something!!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...but most likely, I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, season 3

Sorry Dan Elmo looked like a great kid

No words. Hope you and yours do as best you can right now.

Dan, I am sorry to hear about Elmo, dogs are truly mans best friend. They love us and we love them for who we/they are.

Alan

Sorry for your loss Dan. I know I'll mis mine when she's gone too.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

I know that hurts Dan. My condolences.
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

I understand your grief. We have lost 2 dogs in the last year, a chow/shepard mix and an English Setter--both loved members of the family. We now have a rat terrier and a black lab/Plott hound mix from a rescue. It is truly amazing to be with them--they are best friends and at the same time highly competitive. We just knew when it was time to get new family members; you will too.
    ________

Ron

"Individual commitment to a group effort--that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work."
    Vince Lombardi

Thumbs up

Hi Dan, sorry to hear about your dog, beautiful dog at that. But twelve is not really that old or maybe my luck has been better than yours. What did he died from? It doesn't sound like he was overweight or from lack of exercise. In any event, very nice looking dog and thanks for sharing. We just lost one of ours a few weeks ago but she (Bearded collie) was closer to sixteen - seventeenish.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gonzales View Post
    Well my four legged buddy fell asleep on the kitchen floor for the last time. It actually happened last week but I went to pick up his ashes today and it put us all back into a downer mood.

It's not the same as losing a person, no comparison really. Yet for some reason God makes these creatures to fill in some part of our own souls. They love us, follow us, listen to us and trust us for a pat on the head and some food.

Twelve years ago I found a sick puppy in a church parking lot. He was with me for a couple of girlfriends before I married my wife and we had the kids, he was their buddy too. My companion on cross country trips, hiking, fishing, snow tramping, general shop and yard dog. We used to pull peoples legs and tell them he was an Amish Shepherd because he didn't use electricity, computers or drive a car.

On the other hand my three year old has composed a song in his honor sung to the tune of Little Bunny Foo Foo. I have to record it because a three year old's perspective on death is certainly unique.

Thanks for reading.

Elmo 1997-2009

Last edited by Boyd Gathwright; 06-10-2009 at 03:03 PM.
    Thinking about a project without ACTION is just DAY DREAMING .